Lubricating Sealed Hub Bearing

A friend of mine has a Mercury Cougar with a bad front hub bearing. To save time and money we are going to get a used hub. I was wondering about lubricating the bearing. Would there be any benefit to putting some gear oil around the lip and let it seep into the race. I know some greases are not compatible with each other. Is it the same thing here?

Get the youngest junkyard bearing you can. No young ones? Buy a new one.

Consider the time to do it twice. Consider the immorality if you're dumping the car.

Originally Posted By: Warstud

Now that is interesting , and if the bearings are not already shot, could be worth a try. But only if you don't have to take the hub off the vehicle. If I take the hub off, its getting a new timken or skf.

Unless i'm wrong, a lot of times the ABS sensor bolts snap off in the hub and you will need a new one anyway.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Man for the labor time and disassembly, its not worth a used part. Go new.

From what I read, there is a lot of labor with going new; the spindle has to come off, and the old bearing has to be pressed out. Many of the new bearings don't last long, too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the video warstud. A helper turning the hub WHILE you added the grease might make the greasing more even.

Or it's no big deal.

I could still hear it revolve even after your second round of grease. It'd be so cool if it did go another 100K.

Then definitely tell us how it works out. I gotta say the idea is appealing (greasing things which should be greased).

BTW: Why do they make these things ungreaseable? I think that's inherently dishonest.

Just buy a new one. Cheaper probably than the junk yard. I put two new Timken hubs on my Mustang yesterday. They were so cheap on amazon.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Then definitely tell us how it works out. I gotta say the idea is appealing (greasing things which should be greased).

BTW: Why do they make these things ungreaseable? I think that's inherently dishonest.

I think its more likely they are worried about sealing issues and user error shortening the life of a part they warranty.
Just from my own experience I don't grease things like this or puncture boots with needles, it could easily result in a redo on my dime.

I guess it depends on which end of the business you look at things when deciding what to do, there is what you can do vs what you should do to fix it right the first time.

I find the adding grease through the sensor port interesting. How would you pick a grease? If its incompatible, won't you kill the bearing for sure? No way to know what the oem grease is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
I find the adding grease through the sensor port interesting. How would you pick a grease? If its incompatible, won't you kill the bearing for sure? No way to know what the oem grease is.

im guessing if u want to use what OEM did on a GM you would go with..

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-4042-Bearing-Chassis-Lubricant/dp/B007Q10B1E

* if u scroll down to the bottom you will see..
ACDelco Wheel Bearing Lubricant is intended primarily for lubrication of front wheel bearings. It is a special blend of lithium complex thickening agents, oils, and lubrication additives. This product is suitable for both medium- and high-temperature applications and has good water washout resistance. Not for Sale in California and other OTC States

If you live in California just replace the hub i guess.

If that is what the sealed hub manufacter used. I guess you could just try a lithium based grease and see what happens.

Last edited:
A friend of mine has a Mercury Cougar with a bad front hub bearing. To save time and money we are going to get a used hub. I was wondering about lubricating the bearing. Would there be any benefit to putting some gear oil around the lip and let it seep into the race. I know some greases are not compatible with each other. Is it the same thing here?
The idea of using gear oil in a hub that already has grease in it is not a good idea. The grease that is in there already has ware metals in it & probably has silica mixed in with it. Silica is present to varying amounts in most metals & is a serious abrasive material, so no do not mix the two. Some of the older model vehicles, cars & trucks have a removable ABS sensor that is held in with a small screw. Remove the sensor very gingerly to avoid damaging it. There is a tube available that has a zerk fitting on it. Put the needle down in the opening & give it 6 or so pumps of grease. Rotate the hub to mix in the grease. Do not fill the unit all the way to the top. I am going to try gear oil in my trailer hubs. There is a new style hub on the market that uses gear oil. It is a great way to lube bearings, actually it's better than grease in a lot of applications & way less labor intensive to maintain. It seems to have a great oil seal that prevents leaking. Good luck & keep the old hubs turning. My choice for grease is Schaeffer 274 #2. It is an aluminum complex grease & is compatible with lithium grease.

Back