I did something crazy... went to a VIOC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I needed an oil change and I didn't have time to do it myself so I decided to go to the new Valvoline Instant Oil Change (they bought out a terrible, terrible Pennzoil 10-Minute Oil Change place) and I was very impressed with the military-style efficiency they had going on there and how thorough they were.

I got conventional for $45+ taxes and fees but I found an $8 coupon while I was sitting in my car so it was like $44 out the door. Not unreasonable at all, but not exactly cheap either.

If you want Maxlife synthetic blend it's $70 and full synthetic is $100 and that's for 5 quarts... Way too rich for my blood!

I was talking to one of the guys that works there and the average ticket price is over $160 and they move 90-something cars a day on average. Then again around here there are a lot of fancy European cars that require synthetic and take more than 5 quarts so I see how they can get to $160 easily if they add an air filter or headlight bulb or something.

On the downside, I wanted to cut open my old filter so I brought a leak-proof bag for them to put it in but they said they can't give it to me. Lame. On the other hand, next time around I'll do it myself and we'll get to see the inside of a Valvoline oil filter
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dogememe
I got conventional for $45+ taxes and fees but I found an $8 coupon while I was sitting in my car so it was like $44 out the door. Not unreasonable at all, but not exactly cheap either.

I live in a condo so I understand the need to take it somewhere for an oil change. I've scouted some of the places, deals out there. Not only for the oil but using a decent filter as well. With that being said Walmart here advertises Castrol Edge oil changes with a Fram filter for $45. And a basic full service oil change with PYB is $29 which includes interior vac and windshield cleaning. Pit Crew oil change service with QS for sub-$20.

Hey at least it's done!

I go to a local tire place for oil changes lately and they use Valvoline and do a rotation. Prices are below. I just received a coupon for a free oil change which the car is due for. Expires 7/15.

dogememe
You paid 1/3rd too much. Should have been $30 after taxes and disposal.

Never spend money on a whim. Always try to shop for best price first. You could have a folder on your computer that shows the area's 3-4 Oil Change Shops with phone numbers. Call each one first for best price of the day, before leaving the home.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
dogememe

Triple_se7en you paid too much my last oil change was 14$ including 5qts of motul 5w30 and a bosch filter.

Originally Posted By: Rand
dogememe

Triple_se7en you paid too much my last oil change was 14$ including 5qts of motul 5w30 and a bosch filter.

I have never been in an Oil Change Shop for an oil change. The only reason I know the price is having my wife's transmission fluid changed on her 2003 Malibu. It has lifetime fluid and no dipstick. But the guy there has a new high-tech machine with two hoses that work both sides of the transmission lines and can suck it out and refill it, all at the same time.

It's pretty cool to watch the one hose go from almost black to slowly become red again, when it circulates thru my tranny lines. Anyways, I asked him for a price on oil changes. That's how I know.

He also said I could bring my oil and filter for a $19 oil change. I just laughed at him..... immediately. I would never supply the oil and filter - then pay an additional $19.

dogememe

Which quick lube shop had that awesome deal ?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
dogememe

Rand's Quick Lube. Good coffee there to since he roasts his own beans.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
dogememe

Rand's Quick Lube.

Yep, right turn into the driveway - then stop suddenly, about five feet short of hitting his 2-1/2 car garage. Don't ever roll over the grass either
lol.gif

dogememe

Never spend money on a whim. Always try to shop for best price first. You could have a folder on your computer that shows the area's 3-4 Oil Change Shops with phone numbers. Call each one first for best price of the day, before leaving the home.

Its San Fran area, everything is expensive. these oil changes places have their place in the oil change pecking order. lots of people have a lot more money than time and don't care about the price .

A Valvoline oilchange shop is the ONLY franchise I would use. After several differnt stores , I noticed their lock step, double check procedure practiced at all of them. That is the difference and it is worth a premium price.

He also said I could bring my oil and filter for a $19 oil change. I just laughed at him..... immediately. I would never supply the oil and filter - then pay an additional $19.

Hmm... Around here, I used to pay my mechanic $10 to change the oil/filter that I bring him, but now he charges $20. He does rotate the tires and fills up the fluids like windshield washer fluid. Car takes 8.5 quarts and one of those synthetic fleece filters. I do it myself normally, but if I'm there for some other work and it's due, I let him do it while it's there, otherwise it's not really worth the drive to go there.

Give it a break.

dogememe

That sounds about 7-10 dollars more than the typical oil change franchise price for conventional in the SF Bay Area but if it's worth it to you that's what counts. I usually change my own oil, but in the past I found the "call and response" floor show with the military precision of these places can have varying degrees of "professionalism" involved.

I know I wouldn't take my Fumoto valve there as a test of their customer service capabilities or skill level even if I let them know the circumstance and told them about the lever release. It's too ripe for problems for even "professional" handlers at these time-sensitive places that I've heard will typically remove and replace the Fumoto and not use the lever.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
I needed an oil change and I didn't have time to do it myself so I decided to go to the new Valvoline Instant Oil Change (they bought out a terrible, terrible Pennzoil 10-Minute Oil Change place) and I was very impressed with the military-style efficiency they had going on there and how thorough they were.

If you want Maxlife synthetic blend it's $70 and full synthetic is $100 and that's for 5 quarts... Way too rich for my blood!

I was talking to one of the guys that works there and the average ticket price is over $160 and they move 90-something cars a day on average. Then again around here there are a lot of fancy European cars that require synthetic and take more than 5 quarts so I see how they can get to $160 easily if they add an air filter or headlight bulb or something.

On the downside, I wanted to cut open my old filter so I brought a leak-proof bag for them to put it in but they said they can't give it to me. Lame. On the other hand, next time around I'll do it myself and we'll get to see the inside of a Valvoline oil filter
smile.gif

Waking up an extra 15 minutes earlier and not posting to BITOG would yield enough time to do an OC :p

First (and last) time I went to VIOC was for the same reason, save time. I asked for a tranny flush, and got 3x DF, not pan drop, wasted 2 + hours, and got charged for the flush, and the fluid level measure procedure wasn't done correctly (temperature was never measured). It took me less than half the time they took to do it to do the same thing (not accounting for the drive there), payed about a 1/5 of the price, and did it correctly.
They really should take the monitors out of there if that's how they operate.

I’m sure it’s the case especially in California but regulations concerning used oil handling and disposal add to the costs of oil change services.

The OP is in the San Francisco area-in one the most expensive places to live in the country-let alone the state of California.

He didn't pay too much.......

Last edited:
I’ve used them for rotations. If there’s not a line, I can be in and out in 20 minutes. They seem to do good work on oil, ATF, and differentials. Of course, you get what you pay for, and they’re not cheap.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back