Trans engagement

1999 Camry, door jam says U140E. If I put into gear right after starting, after it's been sitting, I swear it feels like it is between 1st and 2nd. Just like something is dragging, not quite like starting in 2nd but you get the idea. Goes away when it shifts into 2nd (and the shift feels a bit funny--not harsh, just out of the ordinary). If I wait 30 seconds and then put into drive on a cold engine, it doesn't do it. Don't think I've ever noticed with a warm engine.

Now at 183k and dubious maintenance I'm not surprised, and TBH my plan is to just wait 30 seconds. But is this a harbinger?

Fluid was changed with Maxlife at 140k and felt much better than the OEM stuff; I redid it at 180k and it didn't look bad--some black in it but that was to be expected (cleaning out all the garbage). Seems to shift fine--smooth shifts at low throttle, very firm at high rpm & throttle (like near full bore at 5k).

You might try a thicker fluid. My 12 year old BMW is the same way. It slips first thing the morning with thin fluids like MaxLife. I'm currently running Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle fluid which the BMW loves.

What if you go down to manual LOW then back up to drive? Could have a gummed valve body. Another fluid change seems prudent.

Originally Posted By: Dave1027
You might try a thicker fluid. My 12 year old BMW is the same way. It slips first thing the morning with thin fluids like MaxLife. I'm currently running Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle fluid which the BMW loves.

+1, that year Camry definitely needs something thicker than Maxlife atf. What did the car spec originally, T-IV? Plus maybe needs a new filter.

Last edited:
Accumulator in the valve body is bleeding out, just let the engine run. Or you can make a huge mess & remove the valve body to work on the accumulator above it. Really sucks doing that job on the ground while ATF is running down your arms.

Will try shifting to low first then up. will likely just run it, if it's not known to be a big issue.

I did check level after changing but it's probably time again.

Didn't know about using thicker fluid. I could try that next time.

try to manually shift up through and also down through the gears to help get the valve body "exercised"

Almost 2 years later, and another 40k or so, and I've done... nothing! Only updating myself as I let the car sit for a few weeks (during this pandemic) and it really did not like engaging after that long sit (I forgot to let it idle, but I don't like doing that in the garage). And while looking into it I found my old thread.

So it's still doing it, and it seems to have had no impact so far. Well, I know it's no better, and I'm sure it's all the worse, but it's still plugging along all the same.

Originally Posted by eljefino
What if you go down to manual LOW then back up to drive? Could have a gummed valve body. Another fluid change seems prudent.

I was thinking the same thing. Sea foam might help.

Looking for something else... stumbled across this old thread of mine... still haven't done anything about this problem! Man, the pandemic was not a good time for me, I guess. Car is now at 257k and still going, no issues on WOT shifts either, just doesn't like those initial first few seconds. I guess it's a problem that can be ignored (now watch it grenade next week).

Back to look for the thread I was looking for in the first place.

I’ll bet it does the same thing in reverse. 2nd armchair vote for the accumulator or other potential tired seal allowing the torque converter to drain down overnight. My newer f150 does the same over 3-4 days.

I’ll bet it does the same thing in reverse. 2nd armchair vote for the accumulator or other potential tired seal allowing the torque converter to drain down overnight. My newer f150 does the same over 3-4 days.
Might be right, if I hit reverse really quick, it seems to shudder and be a bit off, but I’m just creeping to get out of the garage at that point.

I should tell the daughter about it, just realized—she is driving it for this week.

Back