Tomorrow brings the switch over to Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow my 2007 Tundra with 165k miles will start consuming the 10 gallons of Castrol Edge 0w20 that I have. I suspect everything will be fine, but nervous due to this being new but opened oil. It was oil used for testing dispensers. Dispenser was put on 5 gallon container in the off position, bottle turned over, any amount leaked was measured under varying conditions and temperatures.

I'm sure it will be fine. I will go 7k the first time on it, then back up to 10k if all seems well. I am hoping for the same results which are no oil usage, not blackening at all, sounds good when running, etc. Previous oil was mobil 1.

If all is well, the RAV4 will get it as well. 10 gallons to use up, then Idemitsu time.

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
My 2007 Tundra with 165k miles will start consuming the 10 gallons of Castrol Edge

That's quite the oil burner....maybe you should try some Maxlife.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Gonna take a half decade at least, to use that 10 gallons of oil.
Castrol Edge is good stuff, so fear-not.

Not really, we both drive 17k-19k per year. 10k oci. 2 gallons for tundra, 5 quarts for rav4. Probably 1 and 3/4 years doing quick math. I then have gallons of Idemitsu 0w20. Saving the Idemitsu since it is sealed.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
Hopefully it doesn't contain any debris or moisture in it.

Does Castrol have a reputation for containing debris and moisture? I use magnatec and have not seen this as of yet.

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger

Does Castrol have a reputation for containing debris and moisture? I use magnatec and have not seen this as of yet.

Uh no. He's talking about opened oil.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Ok, that's good. I use open oil at times as well but it's usually left over from the last oil change and stored in a dry place. Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

Anytime you leave a half-quart leftover oil in the garage, it's opened oil the next time you need to use it.
You still use it - don;t you?

OP never said the container came with no lid or cap on it. He claimed the contents were not sealed - as new oil generally is. Had the turned over container not had a cap/lid, all of the oil would have dispensed on the floor. So obviously it was capped / lid in some manner. From the sounds of it, just a little seeped out instead.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
So, this oil fell off the back of a oil dispenser to paraphrase a familiar saying?

Not really. Testing of new dispensers requires oil to test them. When they were done testing, I took two 5 gallon containers, leaving about another 100 gallons of 5w20, 10w30, 5w30, and some 40 weight. By the time I got back again, they called a used oil company that pouredit all into a drum and sucked it out into their tanks. More testing soon, they have another 100 gallons to test after some improvements to dispenser. Why they don't use a ball valve is beyond me.

Thanks for clarifying. It sounds like a huge waste to me. I agree, a ball valve would be ideal or a system that is already tested so this waste doesn’t have to repeat itself for every new customer.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Thanks for clarifying. It sounds like a huge waste to me. I agree, a ball valve would be ideal or a system that is already tested so this waste doesn’t have to repeat itself for every new customer.

They have dispensers, but they designed new and improved dispensers, so they need to test them. Big waste of money for the manufacturer. Ball valve and done. I was told that method(ball valve) was too expensive, so they came up with whatever.
Gets me oil so I am fine with it.

I tried getting the dispensers, but no dice. Now the fun of pouring from a 5 gallon container starts.

Well, Castrol will wait until I get some gallon containers. With no one home to help pour into a smaller jug, I went with 2.5 quarts of leftover mobil1 and 5 quarts Idemitsu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back