Broken tire belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dealer who was checking a possible recall for my F250 said I had a broken belt on one of the front tires. They are BFG tires with an agressive tread and about 50k miles. The dealer blames some of the poorly maintained roads around here.

I do not remember having a broken belt before in a tire but I am 65 so memory is shot.😎

Is it dangerous? Caused shaking and the dealer moved the tire to the rear until I can replace the tire.

My tires from DTD sale arrived today.

Had my last broken belt tire pop at 40 mph as I limped towards a Sears Auto Center. I just put on the flashers and bumped along down the break down lane. Tire was junk,but I didnt chew up the rim. I do not advise doing your daily dance with a tire that is structurally defective. Have new tires put on ASAP.

Last edited:
I waited until the last day of the DTD sale and many tires were sold out including the BFG. I got some Continental LT 275 70 R18. They have a somewhat agressive tread.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Had my last broken belt tire pop at 40 mph as I limped towards a Sears Auto Center. I just put on the flashers and bumped along down the break down lane. Tire was junk,but I didnt chew up the rim. I do not advise doing your daily dance with a tire that is structurally defective. Have new tires put on ASAP.

I am only about 1-2 miles from my indy mechanic.

If I was really concerned I could get just the one tire mounted by driving the tire and rim to the indy mechanic. After that bring the truck to the indy mechanic to get the other 3 done.

In the late 90's Goodyear had a run of truck tires with breaking belts. They do not happen as often these days, but they still do.

I had it happen over the years with Michelin tires more than once with a lot less miles. I heard a similar cock and bull story when I attempted to have them taken care of under warranty. I guess they use the same script. Long story short, never again for Michelin.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The dealer who was checking a possible recall for my F250 said I had a broken belt on one of the front tires. They are BFG tires with an agressive tread and about 50k miles. The dealer blames some of the poorly maintained roads around here.

I do not remember having a broken belt before in a tire but I am 65 so memory is shot.😎

Is it dangerous? Caused shaking and the dealer moved the tire to the rear until I can replace the tire.

My tires from DTD sale arrived today.

Ah ….. Mmmmmm ……… I'm confused.

I've always thought the term "broken belt" was a euphemism for a belt leaving belt separation, commonly called a tread separation. From your description, that doesn't appear to be the case.

BECAUSE any evidence of a tread separation should be cause for immediate removal - and the tire ought to be driven slowly (less than 35 mph) until it is done - and the tire dealer should know that. Yes, it is dangerous.

So why did the dealer let you go? - and even help you by putting the tire on the rear? He should have told you to replace the tire and warned you not to drive on it.

While we all know tire models differ I have had nothing buy good experiences with the Continental brand.

I have no experience with their LT tires but would gladly try 'em.

What I saw was a section in the middle of the tread bulged out maybe 3/8". The bulge was about 10" long and 3" wide. Broken belt? Belt separation?

Nothing noticeable inside the tire.

Got the tires from DTD mounted at Tire Warehouse today. The tire guy said it could have blown out at any time.

What I saw was a section in the middle of the tread bulged out maybe 3/8". The bulge was about 10" long and 3" wide. Broken belt? Belt separation?

Got the tires from DTD mounted at Tire Warehouse today. The tire guy said it could have blown out at any time.

Best guess would be a cut related separation. So, the broken belt diagnosis was sort of correct. Nevertheless, it was potentially dangerous if not taken care of promptly - which you did.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

Best guess would be a cut related separation. So, the broken belt diagnosis was sort of correct. Nevertheless, it was potentially dangerous if not taken care of promptly - which you did.

Guess at cause? Driving on beat up roads with potholes and other rough areas?
Worn out tires? Defect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back