Jeep needs a power steering pump, which are good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I was going to change the fluid in my Jeep’s power steering last weekend and the plastic nipple for the hose on the reservoir broke. The pump was dying anyways so no great loss. Got a re-man A1 Cardone from Part’s Authority and while it works good, it howls pretty bad. I bled it out really good and flushed all new fluid through it.

What’s a good maker of power steering pumps? I’d rather not spend an arm and a leg, the A1 Cardone was $77 or so, a new one from Parts Authority (don’t remember the brand) was $150. SKP looks to not be a re-man on RockAuto, but don’t know about quality.

I’ll spend some more if it means I won’t have to do it again for 20+ years, but if there’s one that’s less that’s decent, why not?

Thanks for the help

I would get the Lares rebuilt one with reservoir from Rockauto.

It’s not some junk cardone rebuild; Lares does good work. I have purchased several for various cars from them.

Hi Nick,

Give the guys at Crown Automotive a shot. I've been involved in the New England 4 wheeling scene since dirt was clean and these guys not only support local wheeling, they know their stuff.

Jeff and Kevin will bend over backwards to help you as best as they can. Explain what you've been going through and they will definitely help you.

Not sure if it will make a difference but, your Jeep requires power steering fluid and not ATF.

What are you using for fluid?

If it fits its a great deal alright, not much more than a scab rebuilt. Even if the reservoir is different and yours will fit the pump its still okay.
Scouring for NOS and stashing it (stuff I need and use only) is one of my things. LOL

I've ordered the pump Trav posted, thanks.

I was using O'Reilly's store brand power steering fluid. I have a gallon of Prestone on order for pickup at Walmart for $13

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
FWIW sometimes what appears to be power steering noise is actually an idler pulley bearing going out.
It was quiet as a mouse before I changed the pump, my mechanic says sometimes it takes him 3 tries with the reman power steering pumps before he gets a quiet one.

Well, the eBay pump was the wrong one. Turns out the mounting bolts are different starting in 1996, their ad said it would fit though.

So now I'm back to square one. Jorgen and Mavel you've got to contact them and I might try tomorrow. Crown Automotive pumps are $270.

Might just try the Lares if they're decent.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Sorry about that I had no idea about the fitment just was was in the description.
No worries, I should have checked Rock Auto for part numbers to see if it worked across all the years. I went to go change it last night, luckily I looked at the two side by side before tearing it apart.

Originally Posted By: andyd
If the pump was OK but for the busted nipple on the reservoir. Get a junk pump and swap reservoir.
The pump was going out anyways, had very little power assist at idle, and I've already turned it in for the core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back