Q: CD 'rip'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to streamline this process. When I was using a Sansa Clip player, it was rather straightforward (after I'd figured out WMP (PITA)). Problem is now the Sansa player battery will no longer hold a charge so it's Tango Uniform. Not sure if it (battery) can be replaced or not?

Backup is iPod Nano. I charged, then had to figure it out all over again. It won't work with WMP. I haven't installed iTunes as it hear it's now bloatware (true?). I'm trying out MediaMonkey will will work the Nano, however it's quite complicated to 'wing it'. Too much non-essential information (skins??), lack of straight-forward instructions and a PITA to learn.

The free version won't rip a CD??? WUWT? Found out I need LAME (who makes these names up?) installed in the MM/plug-ins folder. Doesn't work. Then I read it should be installed in the MM main folder. That appears to have worked as I saw a progress bar.

Is there another program I should be using instead? I've now spent > 2hrs trying to solve this problem with MM. Geeze....

Perhaps iTunes is worth the bloat???

You're running into licensing issues. The MP3 encoding codec has a patent. Lame is from "the land that doesn't care" and has to be added separately. Hang in there, you almost have it!

So that's what's going on...now I seem to recall having to do the same thing with Audacity way back when. Except they actually EXPLAINED THE NEED TO DO SO!

Looks like it worked.

Then another weird problem...somehow the Nano was no longer selected under 'send to' and in its place was a READYBOOST thumb drive??!! WTH? How'd that happen? So now the RB drive has audio on it.

Finally figured out how to remove inappropriate devices from the 'tree'.

OK so I finally have new Acoustic Alchemy selected-songs 'ripped', converted to MP3 and loaded on the Nano in the same order I selected them. Now I can go cook.....

One more thing...looks like I damaged the TOC track on a favorite Acoustic Alchemy disk The Beautiful Game. The disk won't read in the car, on the Dell DT or Apple LT machines. What now? Royal shame this disk is now buggered....rats. It has some great music on it.

Thanks Pete! Foobar??? What a name to associate to your product!

I found another product from Germany called AudioGrabber (https://www.audiograbber.de/). Looks like their US-English site no longer connects. I don't read Deutsch (where's Trav?)

Off to cook....

sleddriver, I thought you had Linux set up somewhere. Last time I ripped a CD, and that was a while ago, I just used VLC to do that. WinFF should be able to get it done, as well, with some pretty handy presets.

EAC is the best free rip out there. It takes some work getting it configured though.
BUT...
Spend the 39 bucks and get dbPoweramp. Easy to use, nice interface, just works every time. Look through their list of cd and dvd drives that read scratched disks, turn on Accurate Rip, and you just might save that Acoustic Alchemy disk from the trash.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
The free version won't rip a CD???

If you import to iTunes from another program, you have to make sure it can read the tags. In foobar, it's right click > Tagging > MP3 tag types > Override ID3v2 revision: v2.3

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Honestly, iTunes isn't that bad.

iTunes is OK and does have its uses. I used iTunes to import CD's using the standard iTunes 256 kbps AAC format. Then I took my MP3 library and synced it to iTunes also at 256kbps. I put the whole collection on my old 7th gen 80 GB Ipod Classic but have not used it in a very long time. I used Itunes to convert the AAC files to MP3 format and now just use MP3's on my phone and flash drive I use in my car. Everything sounds fine to me, just like a CD and I find regular MP3 files to be a lot less trouble than using my Ipod. I have a master MP3 list on a 128GB flash drive and just use Windows to manage it, it is very simple.

Itunes always had a problem when I added new music and tried to sync to my Ipod where it would give an error saying it could not locate 3 or 4 random albums or anywhere from 3 or 4 to 50 or 60 songs (all of which had been previously added to my library and synced to my Ipod). I gave up on iTunes but still use their store to check out new music from time to time. For the last year or so iTunes mostly has "new releases" that are of absolutely no interest to me. Itunes does have its purpose for me to convert CD's to MP3 format or change AAC files to MP3 and occasionally sample an album or song but that is about it.

Originally Posted By: Garak
sleddriver, I thought you had Linux set up somewhere. Last time I ripped a CD, and that was a while ago, I just used VLC to do that. WinFF should be able to get it done, as well, with some pretty handy presets.
I was using it on an old Dell laptop for a bit. Not regular use though.

I do have VLC. Didn't think about it...thanks for the reminder.

Another Linux suggestion is K3b. May also consider Audacious - open source, multi-platform. Great Windows suggestions above, and dBpowerAmp is worth every penny IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back