Can you change health insurance plans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got some cheap knock off health insurance plan this year that doesn't seem to cover anything. Can I switch to someone else? I basically don't have health insurance because this fraudulent company doesn't cover anything.

I think you have to wait for open enrollment period to make changes. There are exceptions for certain life events.

If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.
33.gif

AVB likely correct, unless you change jobs nobody is likely to allow a change until open enrollment period opens, usually around late October.

Where did you get the plan? Most health insurance is like that nowadays, doesn't cover anything but costs a lot and you basically have no coverage until you hit your deductible limit.

Usually you can only switch during open enrollment or if there's some life event that qualifies you for special enrollment, that's usually a job loss, marriage, having a kid, divorce or something like that.

You might have to suck it up til the next open enrollment which isn't til January. Or switch jobs.

Name of insurer? How did you find them, on the internet? Hopefully you aren't paying the premium via a credit card because that's how they can bend you over. Your are likely enrolled month-to-month instead of an annual contract, so it should be doable to bail out. Try a local insurance broker for a plan that's more trusted. There's a lot of fraud in peddling health insurance policies on the internet.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Name of insurer? How did you find them, on the internet? Hopefully you aren't paying the premium via a credit card because that's how they can bend you over. Your are likely enrolled month-to-month instead of an annual contract, so it should be doable to bail out. Try a local insurance broker for a plan that's more trusted. There's a lot of fraud in peddling health insurance policies on the internet.

Unfortunately every year during the enrollment period my phone blows up for about 2 months straight with people selling health insurance, so that's how I picked the plan I have. I did move at the beginning of the year and also had a death in the family. Not sure if that qualifies.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

Unfortunately every year during the enrollment period my phone blows up for about 2 months straight with people selling health insurance, so that's how I picked the plan I have. I did move at the beginning of the year and also had a death in the family. Not sure if that qualifies.

Never buy anything from telemarketers. Even if they're legit, it's a bad precedent. Sounds like they were a scam. Only buy name brand health insurance like Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Or get it through the state exchange.

I did move at the beginning of the year and also had a death in the family. Not sure if that qualifies.

Here's a partial list of what is considered a "qualifying life event"

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/qualifying-life-event/

Moving essentially only counts(per my understanding) if you change zip codes or have a major change in living status.

Also, "death in the family" is listed, but note that it is listed under "changes in household." I don't know this for sure, but I think this stipulation would be a qualifying event only if you were either covered by that person's insurance or your insurance covered that person.

I'd agree with the advice that if you aren't getting health insurance through work, your state's exchange is the best place to go. Open enrollment is usually in October, but it's for the upcoming year and the coverage you sign up for doesn't take affect until then.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
I did move at the beginning of the year and also had a death in the family. Not sure if that qualifies.

Moving essentially only counts(per my understanding) if you change zip codes or have a major change in living status.

Also, "death in the family" is listed, but note that it is listed under "changes in household." I don't know this for sure, but I think this stipulation would be a qualifying event only if you were either covered by that person's insurance or your insurance covered that person.

I'd agree with the advice that if you aren't getting health insurance through work, your state's exchange is the best place to go. Open enrollment is usually in October, but it's for the upcoming year and the coverage you sign up for doesn't take affect until then.

Looks like I qualify then.

I'm very happy with Aetna. No drama. They do what they're supposed to do. But you have to wait for the open enrollment period unless you have a life change for example, getting married or divorced or death in the immediate family.

Never buy anything from someone that called you first.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bunnspecial

Looks like I qualify then.

I believe the death part refers to a person who had coverage and you were covered under that person and would no longer be covered due to their death. Not just a death in the family. You can call them though to see if you qualify for special enrollment.

You have to wait for open enrollment unless you go with a company like Christian Healthcare Ministries, which is not through the Marketplace.

I changed mine very easily. I called up the new insurance company and told them that my companies plan didn't have the doctors I require in the network and it was that
simple. No proof was required. I got a far better insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back