Havoline Smart Change Box - 6 qts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kool but I thought most vehicles still take 5 quarts oil.
21.gif

Gas monkey throws the container in the trash.
What are you supposed to put your used oil in.

I thought about getting one of those 6 gallon shop packs since mine and the wife's car take the same weight oil.

Last edited:
I have seen them on the shelves of Walmart for a while now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
what do I do with the extra oil?
maybe they need to sell a 5 qt version

Pour it into the 5-quart jug you saved from before and save until you have enough for a change.

If it's an economical package then buy it and adapt to it. Keep an old single quart bottle around to empty the box and keep another catch can for recycling transport.

RANT-GENERAL FLAME WARNING: Really people, complaining that you can't cope with a slight change in the handling of a leftover quart or a recycling jug is truly stupid talk.

Think about it. With little provocation you'll be talking about how hard and frugal you grew up and how lousy any other subset of people you choose is because you're superior. Deal with it like a man with a brain for heaven's sake.

Don't take every opportunity to say something ornery and contrary.

Before civility disappears on this thread;

Buy a cheap pitcher at Wally’s to measure the oil. Keep the leftover in the Havoline dispenser.

I hope the idea catches on with other brands. I don't like to buy oil by the quart and my truck takes 6 quarts.

I will be useful when you can find a store that carries it. But I put in my zip code and it returned not available in your area.
Wonder if there's a cost savings?

If it's cheaper, I would buy it. The Jeep in my sig takes 6 quarts with a PH8A filter, and the MGM actually takes a little over 7. Should be less plastic, cardboard can be recycled, etc., would likely be a little better for the environment. All my used oil winds up dumped in AZ's tank or burned in the IDI diesels anyway (conventional oil).

Originally Posted By: Kira
... RANT-GENERAL FLAME WARNING: Really people, complaining that you can't cope with a slight change in the handling of a leftover quart or a recycling jug is truly stupid talk. ...
Yes, and the same goes for those who complain about container sizes that don't exactly match the capacity of their particular sump. No one size is going to be perfect for a majority of us, much less everybody, when oil capacities of cars and light trucks (not even considering heavy-duty diesels) vary widely, from 2½ to 10 or so quarts (or liters).

I would use this type container if it works out more economical, and isn't especially inconvenient. However, I'm skeptical of their claim of less residual oil in the waste stream. Plastic bottles of any size can be drained very thoroughly if you do it properly.

Last edited:
So if you need 6 quarts for your car you dont need to buy more, and if you need 5 and are left over with one its no big deal.

I like it but is it really more ECO friendly than a 6 qt JUG? How much less plastic is there in the bag liner then a typical jug? maybe 50% but how much does that cardboard box cost in terms of tree material?

Richard throwing both the box and bag in the recycle bin reminds me, aren't the oil jugs recyclable?

My walmart takes full used oil jugs and will keep them. Coulnd't they throw them in a recycle bin or does the oil contaminate them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back