Replaced drivers side front strut

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did the work myself and saved some bucks. Two years ago I was in Florida and this same strut failed(strut bearing). Since I was away from home decided to have Midas replace it with a generic strut. That strut lasted one month. Back home in Illinois Midas replaced it under warranty. Now two years later that one failed. I purchased a Monroe lifetime guarantied quick strut and did the work myself. At least I won't have to pay for another one on that side. The other side still performs well. Will see how well the Monroe performs.

Last edited:
How many miles on the other side's strut?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
How did they fail? Clunking or just no absorption?

Clunking and strange noise when turning slowly, like in a parking lot.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

The original. 228K.

One new and one with over 220K on the same axle is bad practice, it can negatively effect braking and handling especially in emergency situations when its needed most.
I would do the other side ASAP.

Without a strut/shock testing machine there is no way to know just how the dampers are functioning but at over 220K it is definitely not anywhere near the performance of a new unit.

Originally Posted By: Trav
One new and one with over 220K on the same axle is bad practice, it can negatively effect braking and handling especially in emergency situations when its needed most.

Without a strut/shock testing machine there is no way to know just how the dampers are functioning but at over 220K it is definitely not anywhere near the performance of a new unit.

I tried the emergency brake test and tracked very well. Handling seems fine. Will keep an eye on any changes. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

The original. 228K.

Yikes
eek.gif

The good news is that Ford now offers Motorcraft quick struts for your 2007 Fusion. The front right strut part number is ASTL24
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
A million miles driven and haven't replaced a strut yet. Knock on wood.

You must have super smooth roads down there. Too many potholes up here, can't go more than 60-80k before they're shot. When I had lifetime warranties on Monroe's, I used to change them out at 60k just because I could and the ride would get better. It just slowly sneaks up on you when they go bad. You don't even really know they were bad til they were replaced.

I too would have replaced the other strut, after all these years of being trouble free, I'd gift it a pair of matching struts.

But pretty amazing they've lasted this long. My Camry (also 228k miles) still has the original rear struts. They're pretty tired, but good enough for a beater. The fronts were replaced 100k miles ago. They're decent.

Originally Posted By: tig1

I tried the emergency brake test and tracked very well. Handling seems fine. Will keep an eye on any changes. Thanks for the tip.

No offense Tig but test like that are sketchy at best, I wouldn't have much faith in it.
For those interested in how proper testing is performed check this out at about 8:30. You don't need to understand what they are saying just look at the testing method and when they look at the computer after testing.

I would've matched the fronts personally, the ride height may be off and under heavy braking the one side with compress more, causing pulling. You also may see more tire wear on the worn side. Hold onto all of the paperwork, we put monroes in my receptionists civic about 2 years ago and both have failed under warranty, with the drivers failing twice.

I may do that when it gets cooler. The other day when I changed it the temp was in the mid 90's and humid. At 73 the heat seems to get hotter for me than when I was younger, say 65. LOL.

I'm all for saving money and getting my money's worth out of everything I own but that aged strut is a NO GO in my book.

If you're involved with some huge crash and your vehicle is examined by an insurance company....let's just say you'll hear all the words.

edit: Are you pulling our collective leg? If you're not then your bull-headed because everyone knows about matching front end hardware.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I'm all for saving money and getting my money's worth out of everything I own but that aged strut is a NO GO in my book.

If you're involved with some huge crash and your vehicle is examined by an insurance company....let's just say you'll hear all the words.

edit: Are you pulling our collective leg? If you're not then your bull-headed because everyone knows about matching front end hardware.

55 years ago I raped exhaust pipes with Campbell soup cans and bought junk yard water pumps for $3 and tires for $10 to keep my cars goin. Read my post above your NY style Snarky comment.

Its a bugger to work in those conditions at 25, I did it. Wait till its cooler.

I plan to as the temps here in Illinois have been in the 95-99 range and high humidity. Welding has been rough as well. It's not unusual to see 100-107 in July and August. Mid to late October looks inviting, but this strut needed changing now so you do what you have to do.

Yeah you know I too just replaced my drivers side strut only. The old one was leaking and making funny internal noises. I HAD an unmatched set as the passenger side still has something going on with it.

I'd do my passenger side too but the end link's gonna need cutting off. So it'll wait a week for the part to get in.

One day at a time, people. My car's better than it was before, and will soon be better yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back