Out with the old in with the new. 2019 VW Jetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations Nick! Enjoy that new car smell!
smile.gif

Looks good! Glad VW is keeping with the simple interior look and not spaceship-like like all the other manufactures.

When I was shopping new VW's back early '17 a 1.4/5MT Jetta SE was on my short list, but was afraid it would be a little lacking on the mountains around here. That and discounts on GTI and Golf's were too good to pass up.

Thanks all, quite enjoying it so far. It's definitely a bit less spritely than my focus was in the turns (of course, it's also 7 inches longer, 1 inch longer wheelbase, and 1 inch wider) the suspension is a lot more soft sprung too. So it's comfortable riding but the handling isn't quite as good. But I knew that going in, and it's still fun to drive and it's not like I plan on ever tracking my car to begin with.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Nice ride!
Interesting plate, back story?

Not much to tell, I like anime and naval history/warships, and Akizuki was a WWII Japanese destroyer, and also one of my favorite characters from a Japanese game/anime/manga series that turned WWII ships into girls (because that's what Japan does). It combines my interest for those two things into one plate lol.

Good looking car! I looked at the new '19 Jetta recently and the only thing I really didn't like was the seat upholstery...it almost looked to me like they needed another pleat or some other detail across the seat base and seat back...it's a plain expanse of perforated V-Tex and almost looks to me like an aftermarket seat cover. It's purely a cosmetic issue for me, nothing functional. I have found the seats in my '17 to be very comfy, I'm 6 ft 1, 250ish.

My '17 calls for 502.00 oil, as I recall, are they really using 508 oil in the '19? Big difference between 5w40 and 0w20.

Wow, Nick R starts buying new cars again; can't wait for the drama to begin! I am keeping the pop corn hot :)

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
the only thing I really didn't like was the seat upholstery...it almost looked to me like they needed another pleat or some other detail across the seat base and seat back...it's a plain expanse of perforated V-Tex and almost looks to me like an aftermarket seat cover.

I noticed that too in the pics and did a double-take. Although I wouldn't let that stop me from buying one. On the plus side that would probably be a good material if a baby seat was on top of it.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Thanks all, quite enjoying it so far. It's definitely a bit less spritely than my focus was in the turns (of course, it's also 7 inches longer, 1 inch longer wheelbase, and 1 inch wider) the suspension is a lot more soft sprung too. So it's comfortable riding but the handling isn't quite as good. But I knew that going in, and it's still fun to drive and it's not like I plan on ever tracking my car to begin with.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Nice ride!
Interesting plate, back story?

Not much to tell, I like anime and naval history/warships, and Akizuki was a WWII Japanese destroyer, and also one of my favorite characters from a Japanese game/anime/manga series that turned WWII ships into girls (because that's what Japan does). It combines my interest for those two things into one plate lol.

Got it! It's a "Girl"!

P.S. Congrats and many miles of use. My '16 GSW is still growing on me... :-(( I may have to move it to wife+ kiddos mover....

Beauty of a Jetta!
smile.gif

Still love driving my 2016, at least until the lease is up in 2 years. Love the look of the inside on the new ones. VW knows how to spruce it up, and yet, continue to make it simple.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Wow, Nick R starts buying new cars again; can't wait for the drama to begin! I am keeping the pop corn hot :)

Hey I think I did pretty well, all things considered. 5 1/2 years and 101k miles isn't too bad.

Hey I think I did pretty well, all things considered. 5 1/2 years and 101k miles isn't too bad.

How about you just be busy driving the car and making sure is not driven like a FL retiree....
Give it the go pedal and good gas, and you can re-asess at 30k miles.

How are the tires handling? what do you plan for winter setup?

I am shocked, shocked to see that you were able to resist the new car bug for so many years! I recall the period when you were buying new car every few months :) How far you have come!!

I am shocked, shocked to see that you were able to resist the new car bug for so many years! I recall the period when you were buying new car every few months :) How far you have come!!

Hehehe,

Did you read the bit about 2 years ago when he also said he started to use/put funds in his 401k and IRA?

I still occasionally had the new car bug, but only for a couple of days and it would pass.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

How about you just be busy driving the car and making sure is not driven like a FL retiree....
Give it the go pedal and good gas, and you can re-asess at 30k miles.

How are the tires handling? what do you plan for winter setup?

Fortunately I don't need to rev the nuts off of it, this 1.4T is a real torque monster under 3000RPM, I barely need to go over that.I could probably realistically drive this barely touching 2000RPM and not even be that slow. I haven't gotten the tires back yet- that's scheduled for this coming Monday- part of the reason I wanted to keep the old ones apart from them being better, is that they are definitely better in the winter. Yeah in a couple of years,50k miles or so we'll see where things stand and if I want to go in for the long haul like with the Focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back