F1 - 2018 Austrian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Sorry, but a 91% loaded tire is NOT underinflated. Calculation here.

Sorry, but you are assuming the tires that blew were inflated to the minimum 26 PSI call out. I can all but guarantee you that was not the case. 27 percent of cars and 32 percent of vans, pickups and sport utility vehicles have at least one tire that is underinflated. And that's all it takes to blow and cause an accident. It is asinine for Ford to demand that low of a tire pressure just to, "soften a ride". When they know full well the statistics prove that many people don't monitor tire pressure very carefully, if at all. Yet in spite of that they insisted those tires be run at a deliberately low pressure. It was a disaster just waiting to happen.

Ford put all the ingredients together to all but assure it would happen. A heavy vehicle, equipped with low cost tires. And deliberately calling out for an unusually low inflation pressure. Coupled with a lot of high temperature, high speed driving. If that isn't a solid cornerstone on which to build a disaster, I don't know what is.

This information is out there, and isn't a national secret. No matter how you want to slice and dice this, Ford blew it, and a lot of people paid a very steep price with wrecked vehicles, injuries, and death. If all of those tires had called out for a 30 to 32 PSI inflation pressure, that whole mess never would have transpired.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3072627/ns/bus...s/#.Wz-A3bfn93E

"According to a survey released Wednesday by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 27 percent of cars and 32 percent of vans, pickups and sport utility vehicles had at least one tire that was underinflated. Eight percent of light trucks and 3 percent of cars had all four tires underinflated."

Originally Posted By: billt460
Sorry, but a 91% loaded tire is NOT underinflated. Calculation here.

Sorry, but you are assuming the tires that blew were inflated to the minimum 26 PSI call out. …… "According to a survey released Wednesday by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 27 percent of cars and 32 percent of vans, pickups and sport utility vehicles had at least one tire that was underinflated. Eight percent of light trucks and 3 percent of cars had all four tires underinflated."

Sorry, but within your own post, you kind of proved yourself wrong. If all these vehicles had underinflated tires, why was the Explorer with those Firestone tires the only ones who had big problems. ALL SUV's and pickups (at the time, and with a few exceptions) had similar load vs inflation pressure characteristics - that is their GAWR's compared to their tire size/inflation pressure.

For example, a 1998 Chevy Blazer (similar vehicle) used a P235/70R15 (one size smaller) at 32 psi - and if you compare the load carrying capacities, they are within 50 pounds of each other. That's the equivalent of 1 1/2 psi. That's remarkably close - and Chevy didn't have this problem!

Besides, other brands on the same vehicle didn't have the high level of failures. Same with other Firestones built at other plants.

And this is my last post on the subject in this thread. The thread is about the F1 race in Austria (Congrats Max!!) and I've analyzed the situation in my website. The answers to ever thing everyone wrote are all there. This was just a rehash.

Last edited:
If all these vehicles had underinflated tires, why was the Explorer with those Firestone tires the only ones who had big problems?

Because Ford called out for the tires to be inflated to only 26 pounds.

For example, a 1998 Chevy Blazer (similar vehicle) used a P235/70R15 (one size smaller) at 32 psi

Bingo, now you're catching on. You just answered your own question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back