Help me pick oil :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So planning to do an oil change in TSX and Civic.

TSX sees highway runs everyday and OCI is 5K-6K or OLM, will either use PP 5W30 or maybe Castrol blend of 5W30. Have PP Euro for TDI in 5W30 too, torn on it.

Civic sees a lot of short tripping, but at least once a week long highway runs, thinking to use conventional 5W20 for 5K OCI. Have RP, M1, Magnatec, Edge, Havoline and Valvoline synthetic blend - all from AZ sale in 5W20, 10W30, 5W30 or 0W20.

What's your suggestion?
smile.gif

5w30 for both rides.. Castrol Mobil Valvoline,Quaker state you choose doesn't matter pickup in bulk whatever is on sale.

2nd on 5w30 for both, especially in VA, but I'd stick with PP for both, because I'm a fan. Realistically, any of the big name brands will likely perform so similarly if you sent in blind UOAs you'd never be able to tell the difference (but the highest iron would be on Mobil 1)
smile.gif

In all seriousness, there's no real difference. Your engines will all run for a very, very long time and any failures will not be due solely to engine oil. There will be some other failure that no oil could prevent.

I do a lot short trips in my truck (work is less than 2 mins). Which ive noticed different in “warm up” time between 5w20 vs 5w30. I decided to stick 5w20 (which what Ford recommended.) Id run whatever its on sale and WIX filter.

All done, did a D&F on ATF with DW1 and for Civic used Valvoline 5W20 conventional and for TSX, Castrol GTX 5W30 and Havoline 5W30.

All is good
smile.gif

On the short tripping Civic, I would use 5W20. The oil will always be too thick on a short trip, having never reached operating temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back