OE or aftermarket brand for thermostats

Status
Not open for further replies.
car is 2004 TSX, thinking of replace the waterpump, thermostat. I had determine to get the OE waterpump, but I wonder if I shall stick with OE or aftermarket thermostat? what aftermarket brand can be trusted? thanks for suggestion.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
OE for sure. Test it before you install it.

01.gif

OE Always.

I just replaced mine. I didn't go OE. I was shopping for them on RockAuto, the only Motorcraft thermostat they had Listed for My car was a 190 Degree thermostat. every other brand, and the one I took out of the car were 180 Degree units.

I ended up getting a Motorad "failsafe" unit. designed so that if it does fail, it fails open. at least that's what the package/ marketing wank says...

they were all listed about the same price...

OEM

My mechanic put a Stant in my grandparent’s Trailblazer and it ran warm, the opening was quite a bit smaller than an OEM one.

I lean towards OEM.

Exercise the thermostat in a pan of boiling water before you install to make sure it opens and closes properly.

I put a Stant thermostat and radiator cap in my Rav4 as PM at 320,000 miles. The cap failed. The thermostat is working fine. (KoW) After that, everyone said to stick with OEM for caps and thermostats. I have a no-name cap on it now. It works.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre
I just replaced mine. I didn't go OE. I was shopping for them on RockAuto, the only Motorcraft thermostat they had Listed for My car was a 190 Degree thermostat. every other brand, and the one I took out of the car were 180 Degree units.

I ended up getting a Motorad "failsafe" unit. designed so that if it does fail, it fails open. at least that's what the package/ marketing wank says...

they were all listed about the same price...
imported garbage! Not only are those inconsistent regarding the opening temp they stick open when the engine gets slightly above normal operating temps.

sorry for delay, had a family emergency over the weekend.. it also cause me getting too tired, and worn out, and forgot to put the ATF fill bolt back on the MDX and drove it for ~15km before I realize it.. luckily the car seems fine for now.

thanks for everyone's unanimous advise, definitely will get the OE thermostats!

OE for 80% of the stuff out there. I'll use Stant on older American products. Supposedly Stant now has an "OE Exact" line but unless they are sourcing their Japanese/Korean t-stats from NTCL or Kuhzeh, it might not be.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
OE for sure. Test it before you install it.
Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
I lean towards OEM.

Exercise the thermostat in a pan of boiling water before you install to make sure it opens and closes properly.

Whatever it is, make sure you test it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back