2017 Corvette / Mobil 1 5w30 / 3.9k mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the latest from my 2017 Corvette Grand Sport. I changed this when the OLM read 25%, which amounted to 6 months (a bunch of which was winter storage) and 3,848 miles. However, those miles included ~6 hours on the track. The reason for the 1 qt of makeup is because Chevy recommends running the oil level a bit higher for track driving. It doesn't really burn any oil.

I have since switched to the new Mobil 1 Formula ESP 0w40 which is the new factory fill.

For those wondering, the car does have the dry sump system which is about 10 quarts. The highest on-track oil temps I see are 270 F, according to the PDR data. Pressure remains rock-solid across the 30-minute sessions as well.

Blackstone's comments were that the wear metals from break-in are largely gone but may continue to fall slightly on the next sample. They said TBN and TAN looked fine.

Code:

OIL M1 5w30 M1 5w30 M1 5w30

MILES IN USE 3,848 5,651 741

MILES 10,240 6,392 741

SAMPLE TAKEN 6/22/18 9/22/17 4/12/17

ALUMINUM 6 10 3

CHROMIUM 1 2 1

IRON 34 53 48

COPPER 5 13 28

LEAD 1 1 1

TIN 0 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 80 76 84

NICKEL 0 0 0

MANGANESE 1 2 2

SILVER 0 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0 0

POTASSIUM 2 5 10

BORON 66 54 106

SILICON 12 40 74

SODIUM 4 5 7

CALCIUM 1103 956 1043

MAGNESIUM 779 682 624

PHOSPHORUS 735 627 692

ZINC 819 733 753

BARIUM 0 0 0

INSOLUBLES 0.1 0.1 -

WATER 0 0 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 395 390 SHORT

SUS VIS 210ºF 56.8 54.8 -

cSt @ 212ºF 9.29 8.71 SHORT

TBN 4.4 4.6 6.2

TAN 2.8 4.7 1.9

Credit to Matt Hastings Photography for this awesome photo of it at-speed last month at Autobahn Country Club!

cef0bb849b65fe328cca86e545d5286e-xlarge.jpg

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Nice! Everything’s a blur but the car. At what speed was the pic taken?

This was on the front straight of the north course, so I was probably in the neighborhood of 110mph. My peak speed on that straight is typically 120-125mph.

EXIF data says f/14, 1/50s, ISO-100, 122mm focal length. The photographer admitted this wasn't as crisp some of the other shots in the photoset.

Silly question does the butt dino hear feel any difference with the 40 oil?

It'll be interesting to see how the 0w40 holds it's viscosity, and if it shows lower wear numbers (although the trend is already downward)

Did you have the dealer do this oil change or did you find it in stores yet? (Mobil claims it's available for retail stores to order now but that not many stores know that yet)

I still don't know if I'm going to use this oil in my Corvette or continue to use 5w30 ESP Formula. I do think the 5w30 version looks slightly better on paper but I don't like spending $17 per liter for it either, so if retail stores sell the 0w40 for a lot less then I'll switch over to it.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Silly question does the butt dino hear feel any difference with the 40 oil?

Nope. ESP Formula 0w40 is fairly light for a 0w40 (HTHSV of 3.53).

Originally Posted By: Patman
It'll be interesting to see how the 0w40 holds it's viscosity, and if it shows lower wear numbers (although the trend is already downward)

Did you have the dealer do this oil change or did you find it in stores yet? (Mobil claims it's available for retail stores to order now but that not many stores know that yet)

I still don't know if I'm going to use this oil in my Corvette or continue to use 5w30 ESP Formula. I do think the 5w30 version looks slightly better on paper but I don't like spending $17 per liter for it either, so if retail stores sell the 0w40 for a lot less then I'll switch over to it.

The dealer did the change. ESP Formula 0w40 is not sold in B&M stores and probably never will be since it's a niche product -- it only carries dexos2 approval, nothing else. There was an FAQ sheet that beginning in Q3 2018 it will be available "where you purchase your motor oil currently", whatever that means. You can get it at the parts counter for about $11/qt for now, part number is 19370233. I have seen it for $7-8/qt at the online dealership websites. 12 quarts, which is enough for one change with an extra bottle or so, works out to $8.50/qt shipped to my door. That's not a bad deal.

The dealers use regular M1 5w30 to my knowledge, but the ESP version does carry dexos2 so I guess you could use it.

PS, you can get the 0w40 in a 55-gallon drum for about $1525. That's only $6.93/qt, so maybe split it with a few friends?
grin.gif

Iron is little high but that engine is still breaking in and you are beating on it pretty well also. I would consider it normal for how new engine is still. On 3k interval you should see it come down into 20s I would think. Also isnt the recommended track oil for these like 5-40 or 10-40? Maybe thats the older vets im thinking of. Anyways nice car.

Originally Posted By: Shata
Iron is little high but that engine is still breaking in and you are beating on it pretty well also. I would consider it normal for how new engine is still. On 3k interval you should see it come down into 20s I would think. Also isnt the recommended track oil for these like 5-40 or 10-40? Maybe thats the older vets im thinking of. Anyways nice car.

The 2014 to 2018 owner's manuals state that if you're racing your Corvette to switch it over to 15w50 synthetic oil (and then switch back to 5w30 afterwards) But starting with the 2019 model year they come factory filled with the new Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0w40, and this oil can be used for both the street and the track. The chief engineer for the Corvette also recommends switching the 2014-2018 Corvettes over to this oil as well, so it is warranty approved now for those years too. (and dparm is now running that oil in his 2017 too)

Originally Posted By: Shata

The 2014 to 2018 owner's manuals state that if you're racing your Corvette to switch it over to 15w50 synthetic oil (and then switch back to 5w30 afterwards) But starting with the 2019 model year they come factory filled with the new Mobil 1 ESP Formula 0w40, and this oil can be used for both the street and the track. The chief engineer for the Corvette also recommends switching the 2014-2018 Corvettes over to this oil as well, so it is warranty approved now for those years too. (and dparm is now running that oil in his 2017 too)

That's correct, but they are still pushing 15w50 as the best choice for track use. They've simply said that the 0w40 can handle it as well.

Personally, if it were mine, a car like this, I would run the 15/50 all the time. They want you to switch back only match back up with Cafe standards

I don't take mine to the track but if I did, I would rather stay away from 15w50 but instead run a much better oil cooler in order to keep the oil temps down. A thicker oil is just a band aid fix, IMO.

I know you like the Mobil 5w30 esp, just seems to be a low starting TBN. Is that not a concern. Looks like the new 0w 40 had a higher starting TBN but still lower than some of the mobile 5w 30s

Originally Posted By: Crobinson16

I know you like the Mobil 5w30 esp, just seems to be a low starting TBN. Is that not a concern. Looks like the new 0w 40 had a higher starting TBN but still lower than some of the mobile 5w 30s

I don't think many Corvette owners should be concerned about the lower TBN since very few would be doing long oil change intervals. The oil life monitor still counts down to zero in one year even if you don't drive it, so a good portion of Corvette owners are changing their oil in the 2000 to 5000 mile range as a result.

Been going to the drag races for some reason lately and the New Vettes are so fast !!!

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle007
Personally, if it were mine, a car like this, I would run the 15/50 all the time. They want you to switch back only match back up with Cafe standards

15W-50 is awfully thick for startup lubrication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back