10w40 Motorcycle Oil in Pressure Washer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pressure washer has a Briggs 900 Series Intek engine. In my previous thread, I talked about needing to replace the carb due to the carb spewing gas everywhere. I changed the oil when I replaced the carb, and it definitely seemed like some gas had gotten in there, as oil spewed out of the fill hole. I had some PYB 5w-30 and some Valvoline 4 stroke 10w40 motorcycle oil (dino).

I decided to use the motorcycle oil, since motorcycle oil is built to operate in dirty, wet clutch environments. I know it's not energy conserving though, but has other additives in it that should make up for it, I am hoping.

The manual for this particular *engine* states that I can use up to 15w-50 (full syn) for temps between 20F-120F. The *pressure washer* manual says nothing of the sort, only recommends 5w-30 syn, SAE 30, and 10w-30, saying increased oil consumption will occur with 10w30, same as the engine manual. There was no mention of the 15w-50.

I almost exclusively use my pressure washer in the summer months, when temps exceed 90F. I am thinking I will be okay, however, I wanted to encourage some discussion on it.

Here are pictures of the engine manual:

Pictures of pressure washer manual:

Thoughts? Valvoline motorcycle dino 10w40 seems to have a SF/SG/SJ rating, which the manual says is okay.

Last edited:
The most important thing with any oil is to make sure it has plenty. High load use like on a pressure washer I verify the oil level every time I add gas to it. Either of your choices would be fine and the 10w40 motorcycle oil will have a beefier add pack than the PYB. Use with confidence.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
The most important thing with any oil is to make sure it has plenty. High load use like on a pressure washer I verify the oil level every time I add gas to it. Either of your choices would be fine and the 10w40 motorcycle oil will have a beefier add pack than the PYB. Use with confidence.

Agree with FlyBoy.

i have a couple of briggs small engines. i put whatever syn extra oil i have laying around. they aren't that picky . you might consider changing the oil in the pump also

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WhyMe
i have a couple of briggs small engines. i put whatever syn extra oil i have laying around. they aren't that picky . you might consider changing the oil in the pump also

The manual "says" that is a maintenance free pump. So I'll just run it till it dies.

Originally Posted By: ThunderOne

The manual "says" that is a maintenance free pump. So I'll just run it till it dies.

It doesn’t matter what oil you put in the engine then....pump will die first.

Some of these, you are able to change the oil even though it says you can’t.

Originally Posted By: racinjason

I'm not sure how as I have never fiddled with the pump before. I will have to look into it. Not sure what the oil specs are for the pump. I see most common weight is 10w40. Does it have to be a special "pump oil"?

The manual says the pump is "sealed"... not sure how to even get into it, or what quantity it would need.

Last edited:

yep. some have a side hole and some you remove the pump and pour out the old and add in new. mine is a remove and pour and the oil that came out of it was quite nasty. i just put in motor oil and its been working just fine

I'm not sure how as I have never fiddled with the pump before. I will have to look into it. Not sure what the oil specs are for the pump. I see most common weight is 10w40. Does it have to be a special "pump oil"?

The manual says the pump is "sealed"... not sure how to even get into it, or what quantity it would need.

some will have a plastic plug . if not unbolt the pump and pour out the old oil.

some will have a plastic plug . if not unbolt the pump and pour out the old oil.

I have a 580.752540 pressure washer... it doesn't seem to have a fill or drain plug on it. The pump is a 203901GS

Last edited:
Pressure washers are high load. Motorcycle 10W40 will be fine, if you already have it.

If you have to buy oil, I'd just buy a heavy duty engine oil 15W40. Or try 20W50, you will like it.

Briggs lost a lot of commercial engines under warranty when their only recommendation was 30 weight oils. Hence the reason why they added 15W50 oil recommendation (for commercial or heavy duty use in hot temps).

I have a 580.752540 pressure washer... it doesn't seem to have a fill or drain plug on it. The pump is a 203901GS

yours is probably like this one? if you remove it and it does not drain out, just take it apart like this guy to change the oil. those pumps are just valve and seals and oil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDVflnnoxPw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back