What Is Mobil Super Synthetic Motor Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What more do you need? QSUD
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
It's XOM's lower tier synthetic, the same class as QSUD, Havoline, Magnatec, and the house brands. Mobil Super Synthetic is also synthetic TGMO

I would say that QSUD is equal to or better than M1.

Based on what specifications?

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
What more do you need? QSUD
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: Brigadier
It's XOM's lower tier synthetic, the same class as QSUD, Havoline, Magnatec, and the house brands. Mobil Super Synthetic is also synthetic TGMO

I would say that QSUD is equal to or better than M1.

Based on what specifications?

So it is:
- API SN Plus
- Ford WSS-M2C946-A
- DEXOS 1 Gen 2
- Chrysler MS-6395

M1 5w-30 is:
- API SN
- ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5
- Ford WSS-M2C946-A
- Ford WSS-M2C929-A
- DEXOS 1 Gen 2
- Honda HTO-06

It would seem that specification/approval-wise, the Mobil product is still ahead
21.gif

A few of those M1 specs listed are outdated specs. The ones listed by QS are the newer specs not specs no longer used. M1 is a great oil I have plenty but so is QSUD.

BTW on a bottle of 5W30 QUSD it lists ISLAC GF-5 API SN ACEA A5-02 GM 6094m GM 4718M Chyrsler MS 6395 Ford WSS M2C946A Honda HTO-6 Dexos 1 2

A few of those M1 specs listed are outdated specs. The ones listed by QS are the newer specs not specs no longer used. M1 is a great oil I have plenty but so is QSUD.

BTW on a bottle of 5W30 QUSD it lists ISLAC GF-5 API SN ACEA A5-02 GM 6094m GM 4718M Chyrsler MS 6395 Ford WSS M2C946A Honda HTO-6 Dexos 1 2

Interesting that they list the ACEA spec on the bottle but it clearly says N/A on the PDS. How old is that bottle? I didn't bother listing the GM specs above for the Mobil product because they were all replaced by DEXOS IIRC.

The bottle is 2016 dexos1 Gen 2

My point was not to get in a pi$$in contest but only to show that QSUD is an excellent oil and from what I see not a second tier one..

My point was not to get in a pi$$in contest but only to show that QSUD is an excellent oil and from what I see not a second tier one..

Thanks for clearing that up. Both are good oils.

Quaker State is not the equal to Pennzoil Platinum, which is aligned next to Mobil-1 and Castrol Edge. I would align Quaker State with Valvoline thou.

I don't rate - nor run my oils for any length, based solely on specs. I run my oil lengths based on performance-first. One doesn't need a UOA to see when a oil is spent, or when it's showing streaks, bubbles, color differentials......etc..... Don;t need a UOA to hear when the engine sounds louder or quieter during any specific OCI.

I do know this, thru much experience. Mobil-1 is a louder oil than Quaker State. No idea if that loudness applies to EP, or the new 20K Mobil-1. I refuse to spend that much money on 15-20k oils, running my normal 7K OCIs.

Are you talking about the newest QUD bottles, with the different Quakerstate bottles on the back and the number of stars rating system? I didn't see the Honda HTO-06 listed on those, but, it is listed on the older bottles.

The product data sheet for QUD doesn't list the Honda HTO-06 either.

Seems like when QUD went to the SN Plus, it lost it.

cheers3.gif

The latest SN+ d1G2 specs pretty much make all the brands equivalent. There is not much difference between these oils.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF

I doubt that. Toyotas using TGMO have a 10,000 mile oil change as their regular interval.

Any 0W20 meeting Toyota specs is recommended for 10K OCI. It's not exclusive to TGMO.

I just started seeing Mobil Super Syn at Dollar General of all places. I agree with the others about marketing strategy, MSS has always been at Auto Stores or other outfits that don't want to try to go head to head with Walmart.

It's a fine Group III syn no doubt, pricing has never been great though due to where it's sold. It's even 6 bucks a quart at DG.

I am currently trying Mobil Super Synth 5W20 for the first time, mainly because of the rebate. I usually stayed with Motorcraft 5W20 for my Ford 4.6l V8. It is definitely thinner than the Motorcraft Synth Blend. At first, there were issues of different sounds and a burning oil smell that I never experienced before. After a few hundred miles, everything cleared up and my engine starts and runs great. No burning smell or change in the engine sounds. When I stomp the gas pedal, my engine shows no signs of hesitation. My guess for all the initial changes is because MSS is thinner than Motorcraft.
Even though I do believe Mobil Super Synth is a great oil, I probably won’t be using it again. For my next oil change, I will mostly likely will purchase Castrol Magnatec Synthetic 5W20. I am very curious to see if the claims of a quieter engine from using Castrol Magnatec is true or wishful thinking.

Originally Posted By: ddhmax1973
I am currently trying Mobil Super Synth 5W20 for the first time, mainly because of the rebate.

I thought the Mobil rebate that just expired recently was only for Mobil-1. Had I know it applied to other Mobil oil tiers, I would have purchased a little Mobil conventional also. I like to blend my synthetics with conventional for a 50-50 synblend.

I like it because it has a thicker 100 viscosity than regular Mobil 1. I have it (under the guise of ACDelco Dexos Full Syn) in my Silverado now with 9% left on OLM. I'll change it tomorrow and get a sample sent in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back