What Is Mobil Super Synthetic Motor Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was in my local BJ's. They had real M1 and right next to it, the Mobil Super Synthetic. The Mobil Super is 5 bucks cheaper a six pack. So, does the Mobil Super lack many of the qualities that makes M1 an outstanding oil? Gotta be a reason why it's significantly less bucks. Thank, gents.

I never understood why Mobil debuted this oil. It was an unneeded spot they filled for some reason.

So they could sell full syn oil at Autozone without price matching Walmart (or name any two stores).

It's XOM's lower tier synthetic, the same class as QSUD, Havoline, Magnatec, and the house brands. Mobil Super Synthetic is also synthetic TGMO

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
I never understood why Mobil debuted this oil. It was an unneeded spot they filled for some reason.
Agreed; this oil at it's price point has no place in the Mobil line up. It is not that great of an oil anyway...

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
It's XOM's lower tier synthetic, the same class as QSUD, Havoline, Magnatec, and the house brands. Mobil Super Synthetic is also synthetic TGMO

What is TGMO? Not in the acronyms list.

In my opinion, Mobil operates like Tide where they just creates tons of products to try to maximize shelf space. Which is honestly a really good and effective plan, because I mean look at us, we’re here talking about it and many people probably stand there for ten seconds trying to decide which one to buy and then choose one or the other but either way Mobil wins.

Originally Posted By: Hot_Ajax
What is TGMO? Not in the acronyms list.

Toyota Genuine Motor Oil
smile.gif

$_57.JPG

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D

I don’t ever see it anymore … bought some on clearance way back and put in Fusion Hybrid but that’s it …

The only Mobil super I've seen nowadays is the stuff that resembles the old Mobil clean 5000. I thought this was a Dino. I do recall Mobil having a bottle advertising 7500 miles maybe that's the Mobil super I remember and thought that stuff was a SYN-blend. I'm dating back 10 or so years ago.

MSS replaced the syn-blend 7500....I consider it Mobil's new 7500 mile oil.
The Mobil hierarchy is Mobil dino - a 5K oil, Mobil SS- a 7.5K oil, Mobil1- a 10K oil, Mobil1 EP- a 15K oil, Mobil1 AP- a 20K mile oil. (IMO)

PS: I don't consider MSS to be on par with QSUD....maybe I'm wrong.

I heard Mobil SS being used more at dealerships and private mechanic shops. Hope this isn't true and they're selling full Mobil 1 priced oil changes.

Except for similar pricing and approvals, im not certain we make this claim as fact? The last VOA i read showed TGMO with much greater VII and Moly numbers.

Originally Posted By: pbm
MSS replaced the syn-blend 7500....I consider it Mobil's new 7500 mile oil.
The Mobil hierarchy is Mobil dino - a 5K oil, Mobil SS- a 7.5K oil, Mobil1- a 10K oil, Mobil1 EP- a 15K oil, Mobil1 AP- a 20K mile oil. (IMO)

PS: I don't consider MSS to be on par with QSUD....maybe I'm wrong.

Don't forget Mobil Special, that slots below their 5000 mile Mobil Super.

I doubt that. Toyotas using TGMO have a 10,000 mile oil change as their regular interval.

Mobil dropped the 7500 series synthetic blend oil and seems they replaced it with their Super Synthetic, which by all accounts seems to be a decent Group III oil which I would think would still be useful for 7500 miles. We routinely go up to 10k miles on M1. So where would you use the Super Synthetic? I would use it where the person wants to stay with 5 or 6k miles oil change intervals. Of course that is purely my opinion based on my experience.

I would say that QSUD is equal to or better than M1.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier

I would say that QSUD is equal to or better than M1.

Based on what specifications?

I have used MSS in the 2015 Chevy Sonix 1.8l automatic . It is Dexos Gen 1 , or was at the time . May or may not be Gen 2 , now .

I run 4000 - 4500 mile OCI and as far as I know , it worked fine .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back