Lowe's Vs Home Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.
95% of the time, I go to Lowes. The rare exception is lumber. In my experience, HD has a greater selection in their lumber department.

Menards is the Harbor Freight of home improvement stores.

Prefer Lowes. My HD has one cool thing, though: Buy a propane tank exchange and get a receipt with bar code that you take outside to a robot that then unlocks a cage with your tank. Pretty neat and no waiting for the asst manager with keys.

Lowe's is cleaner and less busy, sometimes I like going there if I'm not in a rush.

But I almost always go to Home Depot, I know where stuff is after going there for years. Lowe's organizes things differently.

Either one. Where I’m from they are 200 yards apart and on opposite sides of the street. I usually know what I’m going after and and what brands are exclusive to what store.

I like HD over Lowes, HD has a bigger selection. Lowes is about half miles closer to my house and often times go there to save some time, can't find what im looking for and go back to HD.
HD staff always askes if you need help to find something, at Lowes can't find an employee to ask a question.

Neither actually. My first choice is a local old-fashioned HW store stacked to the rafters with all sorts of stuff. There's always someone around to assist too. Their prices are higher, but it's more convienent and I don't have to walk two football fields looking.

I have both near my house, directly across the street from each other. At times, the direction I am traveling makes my decision - I prefer only right turns. I usually prefer HD as Lowe's has no self checkouts and rarely has enough of the manned ones open. It's generecism at its finest.

I prefer HD. One reason is they have a much better computer system that can send you email receipts and makes returns easy while Lowe’s is using a DOS type system. Also it has a much better plumbing section. The workers in both are dregs imo. Really I go to both just for variety
smile.gif

HD all day. Lowe's blows. You can never get anyone to help or ask if you need help. HD in general has better trained employees. As a travelling service manager in commercial trades Im in these stores several times a week. HD is better for trade supplies and help. Lowes has better products for small projects like home repairs, decorating, fixtures etc...

And Lowe's seriously needs to upgrade their self checkout efficiency. HD has faster and more advanced machines.

Last edited:
Have a Lowes and HD about 1.5 miles from me across the street from each other. Always thought HD was a bit stronger in hardware and Lowes a bit stronger in appliances. Think HD has better employees knowledge wise. I'm about six miles from a Menards and shop quite often there, just because it's as large as the other two combined--guess I like to walk long distances. What good that does me, I don't know. One of the few coupons I do use is when they have their 11% weeks.

Recently shopped a washer and dryer for a rental property. Low end identical Whirlpool washer and dryers. Got an Amana set from Menards cause it was cheapest (on sale). Sales person at HD tried to convince me that Amana was better than Lowes Roper- obviously identical. Incidents like that tick me off and if there was a pattern I'd cross off HD.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
I like HD over Lowes, HD has a bigger selection. Lowes is about half miles closer to my house and often times go there to save some time, can't find what im looking for and go back to HD.
HD staff always askes if you need help to find something, at Lowes can't find an employee to ask a question.

There's no issues finding employees at the Lowes stores around here!

How getting more than a "I dunno" out of them is the trick. Half of the employees just sit around and do nothing.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

There's no issues finding employees at the Lowes stores around here!

How getting more than a "I dunno" out of them is the trick. Half of the employees just sit around and do nothing.

All things aside, that seems problematic in most of the Lowes/HD's I've been in.
Save for a couple oddballs in the plumbing or hardware section, even those are hit or miss, most people are actually clueless and the best they can do is tell you where popular items are.

I remember eons ago trying to apply at Home Depot online. The questionnaire was so thorough, I honestly felt I was applying to the grounds/maintenance crew rather than customer service or whichever menial position it was. I have no idea how half of the employees pass the screening process.

On the other hand when I run into a guy who seems super knowledgeable I wonder why is he working in a home depot and not doing work outside??

Nearest HD is 15 miles away. There are 3 Lowes closer than that. I'm OK with the help. HD never has enough registers open. I have the lay out of the local Lowes down and if you check on line, you get the aisle/bay location of what you're looking for.

Originally Posted By: Walmill

On the other hand when I run into a guy who seems super knowledgeable I wonder why is he working in a home depot and not doing work outside??

Maybe they are doing this for some benefits and still doing other work on the side....

It might be that the pay isn't bad for "retirement" work. The plumber that was really good in the plumbing aisle said he used to do it but retired, it can be back breaking work. Knew where all the stuff was and could offer advice once in a while.

[/quote]

On the other hand when I run into a guy who seems super knowledgeable I wonder why is he working in a home depot and not doing work outside?? [/quote]

As in , in construction ? Construction is not a cake walk . For a lot of reasons .

I have been in construction since 1980 or 1981 . Before that , maintenance .

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

It might be that the pay isn't bad for "retirement" work. The plumber that was really good in the plumbing aisle said he used to do it but retired, it can be back breaking work. Knew where all the stuff was and could offer advice once in a while.

^This

One of my Dad's coworkers worked at the now-defunct Builders Square after he retired from the steel mill to get him out of the house and keep his wife from killing him.
lol.gif
He knew his stuff and was able to set his hours. If he did something more in-line with "regular" work, I don't think he'd have had the free time he enjoyed.

I love how people expect employees making minimum wage at a part time job, usually working multiple departments, to have expert advice. If they had expert advice they wouldn't be working at Home Depot or Lowes.

When I was in high school I applied at Home Depot in a few different departments and took the online survey. Never heard anything back. I followed up and they said they wanted me to have 2-3 years professional experience to work in the departments I chose (lawn and garden and tools) for $8 an hour. I went to Dunkin Donuts, talked with the manager and was hired almost immediately at $8.50 an hour and more hours per week.

Apparently they only want people who lie on applications, ex-cons, or retirees working there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back