You may want to wrap your vehicle key fob in foil

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they want my car they can have it. One it's a lease and two gives me a reason to get a new car sooner. Just don't joyride take it and wreck it.

2 of my vehicles don't have key fobs ...

The one that does has a millenial anti-theft device installed.

The Jeep and truck currently have the key in them.

I have a great idea... why don't we manufacture mechanical keys that can't be copied remotely? And they only cost a few dollars to make copies if you lose them. It's a win-win for the customer!

Haha! Standing by your car when it's 95 degrees out, unwrapping your key fob like a baked potato while the key dangles uselessly. The future is here!

I believe on mine you can also shut off the keyless go feature by pressing the lock button twice. But that kinda defeats the point of keyless go. No need for a faraday cage or foil. I'm not that worried about it though, as others said, that's what insurance is for.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Haha! Standing by your car when it's 95 degrees out, unwrapping your key fob like a baked potato while the key dangles uselessly. The future is here!

This. My G37's fob allows keyless entry by touch (I don't use the remote; fob remains in my pocket) and push button start. The last thing I need is it wrapped in tinfoil. Now, the article kind of jumps around and isn't clear about everything. Is the author worried about the remote functions being intercepted when the remote part is used, or is he worried about RFID, or both?

My fob still will function without batteries. I can't unlock remotely, but I can sure as heck insert the fob into the dash and get my car going.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: JamesBond

This. My G37's fob allows keyless entry by touch (I don't use the remote; fob remains in my pocket) and push button start. The last thing I need is it wrapped in tinfoil. Now, the article kind of jumps around and isn't clear about everything. Is the author worried about the remote functions being intercepted when the remote part is used, or is he worried about RFID, or both?

My fob still will function without batteries. I can't unlock remotely, but I can sure as heck insert the fob into the dash and get my car going.

Those keyless entry systems work by always transmitting a short range signal. All the thieves do is amplify the signal. I'm not sure what equipment the thieves are using. Either they're capturing the signal to play it back later or they're just amplifying the signal so that the car thinks the remote is close by when it's actually in your home. That part opens the doors. The rfid part starts the car. Usually you don't need batteries for the rfid part to start the car, the batteries are just need to send the signal to car to open the doors and start the car. Even if your batteries die, there's usually a metal key you can use to get in and there's some other option to start the car with the key even if the battery is dead.

For me, I'm not worried about it because I'm in a parking lot and you'd have to figure out which unit I'm living in. Plus you'd have to get into the building to get into range of my key.

I guess I'll make a tin foil hat while I'm at it.

If they can actually drive the GTI, have fun. Just make sure they total it and I'll just get another one. Same with the Camry. The truck doesn't have a chip key let alone a fob, good luck to anyone that can actually get it out of the driveway, it's a tricky SOB to drive.

Beefing up security on cars has increased the incidences of car jacking. Cars are so difficult to break in to that car jacking bypasses all the technology. There's nothing automakers can do to prevent car jacking. More electronics?

The best anti-theft is to drive a stick shift. Very people know how or have the experience.

Originally Posted By: Delta
I guess I'll make a tin foil hat while I'm at it.

I think you're ok for a while until they start making devices that use your brain waves to open/start up a car.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Even if your batteries die, there's usually a metal key you can use to get in and there's some other option to start the car with the key even if the battery is dead.

Yep, that's exactly how mine is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back