303 Fabric Guard - no UV protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I had some 303 fabric guard that I bought a while back. I was under the impression, as some sites also indicate, that since it was a 303 product, it had intrinsic UV inhibitors.

I recently needed a decent quantity to do a canopy we have, and I saw no info on UV protection on the bottle. I then looked online and saw no info on it. So then I contacted the company about that, and if I could use 303 protectant to add UV protection.

They provided the following info, quickly:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting Gold Eagle!

303® Fabric Guard does not contain UV protection in the fabrics and the formula has not changed. While 303® Fabric Guard does not provide UV protection directly, it protects the original UV resistance of outdoor fabrics by adding a layer of water repellency and stain resistance, which helps prolong the life of the fabric.

Also, we do not recommend 303® Protectant to be used on fabrics because this is a water-based product and it will not work on fabric materials. Unfortunately, at this time we do not have a product with UV protection for fabrics. However, again the 303 Fabric Guard will help to prolong the life of the fabric.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions please let us know.

I appreciate their prompt response, but am somewhat disappointed in the outcome. I like 303 protectant, and 303 fabric guard does work well for water resistance.

But for fabric protection where UV is a consideration (my convertible top comes to mind here, RaggTop does claim to provide UV inhibitors.

Im not shilling for RaggTop, and admittedly, 303 makes no such claims on THEIR website. But other sites do make the claim, and perhaps it was once formulated different... even if they claim it has not changed...

I don't know anything about RaggTop but if its a high quality product that does as they claim its not a bad price, like anything else sometimes you have to spend it to get the desired results.

JHZRZ,

Perfect timing for this thread. Our bimini top on our small pontoon boat is in need of some protection. I was going to get the 303 Fabric Protector but now after reading you post, probably not. Wow that Ragtop stuff is pricey. Does a little go a long way? And how long does the protection last?

I had used the 303 product for a while and it seemed like a fine product, but I had also assumed it had some kind of UV protection as well. Last time around, I had a bunch of material to cover, so I picked up a gallon of the Starbrite version, which appears to be the direct competitor to the 303 Fabric Guard. It is quite a bit cheaper than 303 and it DOES claim UV protection.

http://www.starbrite.com/item/waterproofing-with-ptef

RaggTopp is probably a little on the pricey side for my uses, large surface area tents, tarps and sunshades.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I had used the 303 product for a while and it seemed like a fine product, but I had also assumed it had some kind of UV protection as well. Last time around, I had a bunch of material to cover, so I picked up a gallon of the Starbrite version, which appears to be the direct competitor to the 303 Fabric Guard. It is quite a bit cheaper than 303 and it DOES claim UV protection.

http://www.starbrite.com/item/waterproofing-with-ptef

RaggTopp is probably a little on the pricey side for my uses, large surface area tents, tarps and sunshades.

Were you happy with the Starbrite results? And where did you get it from? Thanks.

Edit: I didn't pay attention to your link and I should have before posting. Still imterested to know if you liked the results though.

Last edited:
I bought it on Amazon for $45 or so for the gallon. I don't really have a proper long term outdoor comparison, but I did do some limited waterproofing tests. My main use was to rejuvenate some tarps and ponchos I use for camping/hiking. I sprayed one side of a poncho with my remaining 303 Fabric Guard, and the new Starbrite on the other side. Both applied, dried and waterproofed equally well. Last time I used them, they were still fine, but I store them in a closet, so UV protection isn't much of a factor.

I plan to used it on an outdoor patio umbrella eventually, but haven't put it on yet.

Considering the lack of UV protection from 303, I'd definitely use the Starbrite again.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I bought it on Amazon for $45 or so for the gallon. I don't really have a proper long term outdoor comparison, but I did do some limited waterproofing tests. My main use was to rejuvenate some tarps and ponchos I use for camping/hiking. I sprayed one side of a poncho with my remaining 303 Fabric Guard, and the new Starbrite on the other side. Both applied, dried and waterproofed equally well. Last time I used them, they were still fine, but I store them in a closet, so UV protection isn't much of a factor.

I plan to used it on an outdoor patio umbrella eventually, but haven't put it on yet.

Considering the lack of UV protection from 303, I'd definitely use the Starbrite again.

Great. Appreciate the info.

What material is the canopy made of?

Lexol Vinylex does contain a UV blocker.

3M, Starbright and Meguiars make several marine-rated products.

Look up a sail loft like Sailright to see what they use.

sleddriver said:
What material is the canopy made of?

Lexol Vinylex does contain a UV blocker.

3M, Starbright and Meguiars make several marine-rated products.

Look up a sail loft like Sailright to see what they use.

I believe it's a canvas type material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back