Smoked in the 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a friend spend the night in his RV. 7:30 this morning I let him celebrate the 4th with some black powder 44 cal smoke and booms. He'd never shot anything other than his 9mm handguns and was excited. he actually hit the swing/bing once!

The title had me thinking you smoked some meat on the Fourth.
Then I thought his RV was going to be the subject of a fire story once black powder was mentioned.
Then I see you gave him a new experience.
Oh goodie, a happy fifth.

Sounds like fun, but I hope you didn't wake the neighbors up (if you have any)!!

I took my daughter and her boyfriend up to our mountain condo for the 4th, but my wife said people around our house were setting off fireworks around 1:30am that day. She wasn't sure who was doing it, but we have some pretty trashy neighbors who think that fireworks are appropriate for celebrating all holidays, birthdays, graduations, making it home without getting a speeding ticket, etc. Really fun when you have small kids, they once woke up my daughter from a dead sleep well after dark when she was 4 or 5 and she wouldn't stop crying and they thought I was being a jerk for opening the front door and screaming at them for being inconsiderate scumbags.
I think the neighborhood would be a nicer place without them, but maybe they think the same about me. They are just proof for me that some people who can afford a nice house in a desirable neighborhood don't necessarily deserve to live there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
They are just proof for me that some people who can afford a nice house in a desirable neighborhood don't necessarily deserve to live there.

People have set off fireworks on the Fourth Of July for decades. And they do it regardless of what the houses cost where they happen to light the fuse. "Deserve" has nothing to do with any of it.

Originally Posted By: billt460
They are just proof for me that some people who can afford a nice house in a desirable neighborhood don't necessarily deserve to live there.

People have set off fireworks on the Fourth Of July for decades. And they do it regardless of what the houses cost where they happen to light the fuse. "Deserve" has nothing to do with any of it.

I'd argue that 1:30am is bad even on the 4th, but of course we expected some bangs on that day...heck, we went to a fireworks show up in the mountains at a more reasonable 9:30pm. I was complaining more about people setting off rockets in my neighborhood on random days when people have to get up for work or school the next day and especially more when children are likely to be sleeping.

But, I have to admit that I really sound like an elitist jerk in that post. I think people should be expected to behave wherever they live (perhaps unless they are so isolated that they can't possibly bother anybody!) and living in what I think is a nice neighborhood doesn't make me a better person than somebody who might have more modest accommodations. I guess what I'm getting at is that privacy can be expensive around urban areas...as I've moved from apartments to a subdivision with small lots to a home in the woods where the other houses are at least a couple of hundred feet away, I've gotten more privacy as I've spent more on my housing. A man-child with a box of fireworks can strip my privacy (and sleep) away with the flick of a match....

Originally Posted By: pkunk
Smoked in the 4th

What brand of cigarettes did you smoke, as the clock rang-in July 4th?

I quit 15 years ago. My last cigarette ever smoked was Salem Ultra Lights.

I used to own eight blackpowder pistols and rifles. I am currently down to three. My screen name here is a blackpowder substitute called TripleSe7en. I once taught the sport and moderated at blackpowder muzzleloader messageboards.

I would never fire my guns from at-home....... never! If I open my side door, I can almost spit on my neighbor's home next to me.
Against the law here.

Cold front moved through our area last evening and put the damper on a lot of the boom,boom, boom we have been listening to for ten days. That didn't stop some though. They were out there in a downpour trying to light everything they brought home. I haven't ever purchased fireworks from a stand but guess some of those large whizzbangs run $$ a pop.Our cat is glad it's over for another year too.

Inconsiderate, and probably drunk, idiot holes who light off fireworks and disturb their neighbors after 1 am need the cops to come out and talk to them.

Fireworks were illegal here for most of my life, now we have a state law protecting the use of fireworks between 10am and 11:59pm on July 3 & 4. It sounded like I was in the middle of a war zone last night, and I couldn't help but to smile.

Originally Posted By: AVB
Fireworks were illegal here for most of my life, now we have a state law protecting the use of fireworks between 10am and 11:59pm on July 3 & 4. It sounded like I was in the middle of a war zone last night, and I couldn't help but to smile.

Same here. A few weeks before the Fourth even Wal-Mart had displays of them. It's one day a year, and people still manage to get all bent out of shape over it.

It's one day a year, and people still manage to get all bent out of shape over it.

Especially the people Who's houses burn down because some idiot with fireworks was running amuck. Sounds like a dozen or more homes here got torched because of fireworks starting fires. Of course they never catch the idiot who caused the destruction.

Every year, here in Nashville, a few folks get shot by idiots who fire off celebratory gunfire. A guy I work with was standing in the parking lot at Nissan Stadium, leaning against his truck, with his arms crossed, when a bullet buried itself in his forearm. That happened like 2 yrs ago. Saw a news blurb that 3 people were hit by random gunfire during the fireworks this year.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Every year, here in Nashville, a few folks get shot by idiots who fire off celebratory gunfire.

Do that here in Arizona and it can get you up to 6 years in prison.

https://dmcantor.com/assault-violent-crimes-homicides/unlawful-discharge-of-a-firearm-shannons-law#

I'm sure there are laws against it here too. The problem is catching the perpetrator in a densely-populated area when the shot could have come from anywhere. It's not like they're going to go to the police station and confess.

The problem is catching the perpetrator in a densely-populated area when the shot could have come from anywhere. It's not like they're going to go to the police station and confess.

Most all of those who are caught are given up by witnesses. This kind of stuff usually happens at parties and the like. So there are always plenty of people who see it. It's much the same with these idiots who shine lasers at aircraft. They can usually pinpoint the general area where they think it came from. Then the cops go door to door and start canvassing the neighborhood. And someone who saw something, or knows something, winds up talking.

It's like the old saying. The only way 2 people can keep a secret, is if both of them are dead.

Go to YouTube and search for 'roman candle wars'. I'm sure everyone would want that going on in their neighborhood.
eek.gif

The problem is catching the perpetrator in a densely-populated area when the shot could have come from anywhere. It's not like they're going to go to the police station and confess.

Most all of those who are caught are given up by witnesses. This kind of stuff usually happens at parties and the like. So there are always plenty of people who see it. It's much the same with these idiots who shine lasers at aircraft. They can usually pinpoint the general area where they think it came from. Then the cops go door to door and start canvassing the neighborhood. And someone who saw something, or knows something, winds up talking.

It's like the old saying. The only way 2 people can keep a secret, is if both of them are dead.

Just for "fun", I'm curious. Take the example of my co-worker who had a bullet lodged in his arm on July 4 while watching fireworks a couple of years ago. Let's say the perpetrator was caught, and it was proven that he was responsible, and had negligently discharged a pistol, injuring my friend (a girl was also hit in the back, as I recall).

What should his punishment be?

Just for "fun", I'm curious. Take the example of my co-worker who had a bullet lodged in his arm on July 4 while watching fireworks a couple of years ago. Let's say the perpetrator was caught, and it was proven that he was responsible, and had negligently discharged a pistol, injuring my friend (a girl was also hit in the back, as I recall).

What should his punishment be?

That's not what guns are for. Accidental discharge is bad enough. But willful negligent discharge, (most likely under the influence of alcohol, and God knows what else), is inexcusable. If a person dies from it, the punishment should be right along the same lines as second degree murder. Depending on the injury, if the victim survives, it's no different than aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Bottom line, years in prison. At least that's how I see it.

In addition if injured, the victim should be able to sue the perp in civil court for pain and suffering, medical expenses, time off work, damaged property, and anything else they had to deal with because of the injury.

Years in prison? It would never happen. Doubt they’d even get 11 months 29 days out of it.

Agree that they should be liable for damages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back