Aftermaket sensor or OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt a coolant temp sensor would be that critical. I'd bet a sensor from any of the major brands would be fine.

Is it for the gauge or the pcm? If it is for the gauge aftermarket is fine. If it is for the pcm I would rather have oem, but aftermarket would most likely be fine there too.

Based on my limited experience with my son’s Xterra and a few conversations with an indy mechanic, my opinion is that Nissans are finicky about aftermarket electronic parts so stick with OEM.

I had an aftermarket camshaft position sensor installed by a local shop and they could not get the truck to run right. I had them take it out and put in the OEM from the Nissan dealer and it ran perfect instantly. Still going strong 2 years later.

Just my .02.

OEM unless the OEM is the same as aftermarket.

e.g.: Denso is for Toyota so you can buy Denso in place of a genuine Toyota from stealership with a note that sometimes the stealership part may be cheaper than Denso.

Last edited:
OEM. I have replaced the engine coolant temp sensor 3 times on my ford. I finally got wise and quit throwing that BWD brand [censored] on my car and got a motorcraft. No problems since. BWD stands for broke when delivered.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
I doubt a coolant temp sensor would be that critical. I'd bet a sensor from any of the major brands would be fine.

I thought so too. Turns out it was one of the most important on my truck. It wasn’t for the gauge though. It is for the computer.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
OEM. I have replaced the engine coolant temp sensor 3 times on my ford. I finally got wise and quit throwing that BWD brand [censored] on my car and got a motorcraft. No problems since. BWD stands for broke when delivered.

Not always. I have found OE parts with logo in the BWD and Intermotor boxes other times no name carp. Ordering online is sketchy at best you really need a look in the box before parting with the cash.

Not always. I picked up two BWD fuel pressure dampeners from O'Reillys for my VQ Quest. Both of them had the Nissan hamburger logo imprinted on them and were identical to the OEM ones I removed. Sometimes, you get lucky.

I installed an BWD/Intermotor CPS/TDC sensor in an 01 Civic back in 2012 and posted it HERE. Civic now sold but still part of extended family stable. Still operating properly and no regrets about using the BWD/Intermotor Sensor for that application.

I also replaced an air fuel ratio sensor on an 01 Tacoma in 2011. Rather than paying for the "Toyota labeled" sensor from the dealer which at that time iirc in the ~$200 range, I bought the same Denso labeled part from Amazon for ~$88. So sometimes one can get the OE part under the name of the original manufacturer.

Here, I'd favor the OE/M part, but I'd do research to see if I couldn't find the equivalent sensor by OE manufacturer for significantly less money. If not possible or close to same price, I'd go OEM.

Originally Posted By: 28oz

Not always. I picked up two BWD fuel pressure dampeners from O'Reillys for my VQ Quest. Both of them had the Nissan hamburger logo imprinted on them and were identical to the OEM ones I removed. Sometimes, you get lucky.

I’m never that lucky. I had to pull the BWD map sensor and replace it and the quickest one I could get was one from autozone. Still a cheap part but has worked way better than the BWD version so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back