marine application

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using TW-C3 2-stroke oil in my jetskis. It seems like JASO FD would be the new alternative, is this correct? Does it matter if I go full synthetic or just the blend?

TCW-3 is really for outboards only, I'm not sure how it became the "universal" 2-stroke oil.
JASO FD is meant for higher RPM, hotter running stuff that changes throttle position and RPM frequently. (i.e.: Your jetski)

The synthetic blend versus full synthetic is up to you. Both will meet the standard. How much they "better" they are likely depends on the marketing department at the individual companies.

I run TCW-3 in my outboard and JASO FD Sea and Snow, Redmax, Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo (whatever is on sale) oil in everything else like my mower, leaf blower, weed whipper, chain saws, brush cutter. I just make sure it has the JASO FD seal on the bottle somewhere and I'm good to go.

TCW3 is for marine applications, JASO FD is for motorcycles.

Marine engines run cooler, amongst other things I cannot recall so the oil specs are different

It does not really matter synth, dino or blend. Whatever is cheaper, your jet skis will live a long life on supertech TCW3

TCW3 is supposed to run in all marine applications. Part of the TCW3 spec is NO ASH, and it also needs to have a degree of biodegradability, all in the name of pollution control. Also since Marine engines tend to be lower RPM lower performance, NO ASH oil is desired because the temps to keep combustion chambers and power valves free of soot are just not there.

Originally Posted By: Tman220
TCW3 is supposed to run in all marine applications. Part of the TCW3 spec is NO ASH, and it also needs to have a degree of biodegradability, all in the name of pollution control. Also since Marine engines tend to be lower RPM lower performance, NO ASH oil is desired because the temps to keep combustion chambers and power valves free of soot are just not there.

6000 [current Yamaha 90 4-stroke] is "lower RPM"? My Merc 2-strokes were 5200 (the Merc 50HP 4-stroke I once ran was 6200).

Which motors are you referring to as "lower RPM lower performance"? Maybe I just have run the exceptions?

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

6000 [current Yamaha 90 4-stroke] is "lower RPM"? My Merc 2-strokes were 5200 (the Merc 50HP 4-stroke I once ran was 6200).

I was thinking the same thing.......

Originally Posted By: Driz

I was thinking the same thing.......

vs a 12000rpm air cooled chainsaw a water cooled outboard is lower rpm and cooler.

Just FYI, I don't believe there is any requirement for biodegradability of TC-W3 oils. Here are the manuals from the NMMA for all of the certification requirements:

TC-W3 Rating Manual
TC-W3 Product Approval System
TC-W3 Certification Test Manual

Which motors are you referring to as "lower RPM lower performance"? Maybe I just have run the exceptions?

When your 4T motors rev higher than your 2T, that should be your first clue.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
TCW3 is for marine applications, JASO FD is for motorcycles.

Marine engines run cooler, amongst other things I cannot recall so the oil specs are different

It does not really matter synth, dino or blend. Whatever is cheaper, your jet skis will live a long life on supertech TCW3

TCW3 also leaves an anti corrosion layer on the cylinder walls.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist

Just FYI, I don't believe there is any requirement for biodegradability of TC-W3 oils. Here are the manuals from the NMMA for all of the certification requirements:

TC-W3 Rating Manual
TC-W3 Product Approval System
TC-W3 Certification Test Manual

Yes, you are correct, I thought I remember reading something about biodegradability long ago but after brushing up on those specs, that is not the case.

One type of engine where a Jaso FD spec is specified is a snowmobile engine. This type of engine I would consider a high performance, high RPM, high heat application compared to an outboard or a 2 stroke PWC. As a comparison it is typical for a 700 CC 2 cylinder, two stoke snowmobile engine to make about 140 hp. This horsepower is made around 7800 RPM. As a comparison, my 60 HP 3 cylinder yamaha outboard displaces 850 CC's. That 60 hp is made at 5000 RPM. These are wildly different numbers from engines with wildly different performance requirements. It shoudn't be surprising that they require different lube specifications.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back