Need help/advice servicing 13 altima cvt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive talked to my dealer on two seperate ocassions about the cvt. Once they told me it has "lifetime fluid" and not to touch it. The other day another service writer said every 30k miles and the service was 400 bucks! I got a quote from a iffy lube type place who said it would be 200. They'd use valvoline cvt fluid and flush the system. No filter change. Just a flush and fill. Im not comfortable with iffy lube and the dealer wants too much. How hard is servicing this transmission?
There is no dipstick on the cap of the fill tube. I guess i'd either have to measure exactly what comes out and put that amount in or fashion a dipstick to get a point of reference for what needs to be in there. What about changing the filter as well? Never had a vehicle before tgat was so unfriendly for the owner to work on. I cant even find much info online about it.

Thanks as always

Last edited:
I think there is a drain plug on the transmission. Just drain it, measure how much you drained (you can get a bucket like that at the Hone Depot or any other hardware store), and pour the same amount back in.

Advance Auto has a sale on Castrol CVT for just $5/qt
smile.gif

Transmission dipsticks are almost never accurate anyway. Honda is the only one I know that can actually make an accurate transmission dipstick
crazy2.gif

Buy the fluid off eBay and the dipstick kit for the "13 Altima. Go to a local transmission shop and have them drain and refill. Replace the amount taken out and check the level on new dipstick. I bought 5 qts of NS-3. Cost was less than $50 for the service. Dipstick about $20 and fluid about $65.

I would learn to do it if you don't already know how before I let a quick lube place anywhere near the car to service that transmission.

If it's setup like all the late model Nissan (Jatco) CVTs I've seen, it will have a drain plug on the pan, a fluid level check plug on the case and a capped refill tube in the engine bay.

On my 2016 Nissan Quest's CVT, I drained the pan cold, refilled with the same amount of CVT fluid that came out and then checked level with the level check plug.

With the vehicle on a level surface and warmed up, idling in park, CVT fluid should just dribble out of the level check plug. The factory service manual will state a specific fluid temp range it must be checked at. I forget what that range is. I shoot the pan with a hand held thermometer. This is not the FSM way, but it's worked for me.

Originally Posted By: monster1
Sounds like i need the factory servuce manual.

For my 2016 Nissan Quest, the temp range for CVT fluid level checking is 98-113F, while idling in park. It's a pretty wide range.

I bought my Nissan NS-3 CVT fluid off eBay. I believe your 2013 needs NS-2. If you're out of warranty, I'd use which ever aftermarket CVT fluid you like that says suitable for use for Nissan NS-2, etc.

You can get by with a drain and fill. Make sure the new and old fluid are the same temp and replace the same amount, easy peasy with an ATF funnel. I have a Jatco trans in my car and if you fill it to the check plug it will be underfilled when you cycle through the gears.

I wouldn't let the CVT serviced by any other than the dealership and the soups are quite unique.
Stay with OEM fluid and get it done with the dealership - you will thank yourself for a good night sleep.

Really easy service. I bought a 2015 Altima with maybe 80K miles from Hertz for a friend. The drain is easy-peasy.
But make sure you can remove the filler plug first! Mine was stuck. Someone suggested a little penetrating fluid mighta helped...
Anyways I drained out 4.1 quarts of black fluid and replaced same with Valvoline CVT fluid.
Made a nice difference.
As slackdog sez, you can get Castrol CVT Synthetic for $5; buy a bunch.
I serviced the CVT once again; the fluid looked better.
Runs real good.
I did purchase the dipstick from Ebay.
I guess the best way is to measure the fluid temperature and check; I have not done it that way.
Finally, Youtube is your friend.

^Quoted for truth. That my friend would be just too easy! Given the delicate nature of these things and the critical nature of the fluid you wont find me messing around with one, by the book with OE fluids or nothing.

Recommended service is at 60K I believe. I took mine in to the dealer to get serviced as I believe it had some sort of action needed by a scan tool that resets "Fluid Life" or something like that.

I may be wrong, but I did it anyways.

Originally Posted By: BlitzPuppet
I took mine in to the dealer to get serviced ...

Mind if I ask how much the dealer charged?
Thanks in advence...

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
Originally Posted By: BlitzPuppet
I took mine in to the dealer to get serviced ...

Mind if I ask how much the dealer charged?
Thanks in advence...

It was around this time last year, I don't have my receipt here on me, and the website doesn't have the price listed anymore for some reason. I believe I spent around $200 +/- 25

Btw mine is a 2013 as well but has a 3.5L.

Common sense dictates sticking with OEM when it is replaced once in 60K miles.
Same goes with coolants common sense says don't screw around coolants when they last 100K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back