Red Line 15w40 HDEO 2014 F250 6.7 PSD 9400 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
So why so much fuel dilution in a pretty low mileage 6.7?

Wish I knew!

Latest below. June 2018 UOA in both the Blackstone and Horizon reports is Redline 15w40 HDEO. Both reports analyzed the same oil from this OCI.

In the Blackstone report, 1/18 and 6/18 reports were Redline 15w40 HDEO, 3/18 report was Amsoil SS 5w40 HDEO, and the two 2016 reports with the higher iron were T6 5w40 CJ4.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Just wondering, how high does the iron ppm have to get before these guys would be concerned?

When there is issue you normally see ALOT of ppm of something and it also doesnt line up to hrs or miles on oil. Like for example 6k mile interval with 390ppm iron. There is definitely issue going on. The few UOA ive seen on engines that have been bad ppm figures were in the 1000+ ppm.

Latest UOA for RedLine 15w40 in this engine. Surprising jumps in oxidation from 4 to 91, and viscosity, with the same oil. If anyone has any ideas on the oxidation jump, please comment . . . .

As can be seen in this thread, never had high oxidation or this high viscosity in this engine.

Samples 2 and 3 in this pix both RedLine 15w40 HDEO, and Sample 1 was Amsoil SS 5w40 HDEO.

Sorry for the blurry picture.

20181030_204918.jpg

Last edited:
Fuel dilution has grown, but just remember not to compare these latest fuel numbers to Blackstone's, since they're not readily comparable in the least. As I mentioned in the other thread, the oxidation numbers on Red Line are customarily high in the first place. If there's any number I'd be wondering about it would be the "4" from June. A VOA of this batch of Red Line 15w-40 would be helpful. Viscosity is up, too, but that's not a huge amount in the least.

Originally Posted by claluja
Originally Posted by racin4ds
So why so much fuel dilution in a pretty low mileage 6.7?

Wish I knew!

Ford injects diesel on the exhaust stroke for regen in the 6.7, so lots of raw fuel in the cylinders that sneaks past the rings. Cummins uses a 7th dedicated injector in the exhaust stream, they naturally do better on fuel dilution.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Redline sure knocked down your iron on this longer OCI. Whether it's moly or gerbil urine that's in the oil, its clearly working for you. I wouldn't change a thing.

The Redline oil is a 15w-40.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Redline sure knocked down your iron on this longer OCI. Whether it's moly or gerbil urine that's in the oil, its clearly working for you. I wouldn't change a thing.

The Redline oil is a 15w-40.

The Red Line 15w40 significantly lowered iron compared to T6.

And the 3/22/18 Amsoil 5w40 lowered iron even more.

The 5w40 T6 clearly had the highest iron wear, Amsoil 5w40 the lowest iron number, and the Red Line 15w40 is in the middle. Don't think the "15w" part of the equation was the determining factor here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by claluja
Latest UOA for RedLine 15w40 in this engine. Surprising jumps in oxidation from 4 to 91, and viscosity, with the same oil. If anyone has any ideas on the oxidation jump, please comment . . . .

As can be seen in this thread, never had high oxidation or this high viscosity in this engine.

Samples 2 and 3 in this pix both RedLine 15w40 HDEO, and Sample 1 was Amsoil SS 5w40 HDEO.

Sorry for the blurry picture.

When I got VOA's of Redline 5w30 some years ago, oxidation showed 108. I would say your 91 oxidation number is OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back