Lowe's Vs Home Depot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disclaimer: I dont have stock or any other interest in either company.

Irrelevant factors such as location/distance aside, do you guys and gals (and nonbinaries
crackmeup2.gif
) have a preference to which store you use?

For years I had been using Home Depot exclusively, for no real reason. One day, I stepped into Lowe's and discovered that it was just as good and the parking lot was a bit easier to navigate in and out of. They're both within 2 minutes of each other so distance doesn't have anything to do with it.
Since then I've found myself going to Lowe's, mostly. I even ended up getting one of their credit cards. 5% every purchase and additional 5% on certain sales. I've been impressed with Lowe's customer service repeatedly, and I just feel the store has a cleaner atmosphere. I haven't had any bad experiences at the Home Depot but I feel I've had more "good" ones at Lowe's.
Since starting a new job there is a Home Depot on the direct route back home, I plan on going there after work today as a matter of fact (most of my trips are planned around distance/convenience/laziness).
It got me thinking, is there really a difference to either store that anybody has noticed? What's everybody else's preference?

I usually go to Lowes simply because they are much closer to me. However, I will go to Home Depot on occasion as they will have something that Lowes doesn't stock........and vice versa. I enjoy going to both. Don't really have a preference.

I always went to HD but the quality of some of their copper and brass fittings has gone down the toilet in recent years.
Lowes seems to using a higher quality supplier. The HD I go to has a much bigger inventory than Lowes down the street so for most other things I still go there.

I prefer Menard's, even though it is the farthest away from me. I have a HD and a Lowe's that are closer.

It's funny when I rented a carpet cleaner last December. Went to Lowe's to rent the Bissel Big Green machine. Then went to Home Depot for the Zep Premium Carpet Cleaner. Spread the cheddar around some. Lowes seems much quieter in the store compared to HD. Kind of like a mouse wizzing on cotton.

Lowes has a much better tool selection. Lowes is clearly a homeowner store where Home Depot seems to cater to tradesmen more. Other than materials and tools, both of them sell big box quality appliances and OPE.

I actually prefer Sutherlands , a regional / local store . But they do not stock as much merchandise as HD or Lowes .

There are 2 HD's & 1 Lowes in our burg . One of the HD's is closest to me & that is where I usually go , if I do not go to Sutherlands .

The other HD & the Lowes are further , but not that far from each other . So , if I am in that part of town , it is a toss up .

I usually do online looking / shopping , before I leave the house . Sutherlands does not have as good of a website . But it is the closest , so I can hit there first , after I have already looked the item up on the HD & Lowes websites .

I've noticed in general Home Depot is slightly cheaper than Lowes and they carry a few things that Lowes doesn't tend to carry. Lowes is better at appliances though, they have next day delivery. Home Depot is still a mess, sometimes it takes up to 2 weeks to get a delivery. One Home Depot I got to has a great guy at the plumbing department, knows exactly where all the parts are, handy when you're trying to just get in and out quick.

At one point in time (and maybe now), Lowe's targeted its marketing and store layout to women. More focus on decorations, aesthetic improvements, etc.

Home Depot is the opposite.

This has no bearing on my choice, since I go to whichever is closer.

But I do like Kobalt tools over Husky.

I like Lowes selection and prices better but their customer service is awful around here. You can't get anyone to help you, and if you do manage to catch an employee, they pull the ignorance card. I had to make an emergency trip to lowes to get two sheets of plywood right before they were closing. 10 employees standing around, not a one was "qualified" to help me load into the trailer. I ended up breaking my big toe and when I went in to complain they told me I should have asked for assistance.

The exception to the selection: plumbing fittings and fence hardware. I can never find what I need for plumbing at lowes and in order to put up my fence I had to buy a lot of the parts from Home Depot because Lowes simply does not sell everything locally to build a chain link fence.

It really depends on the area and store management.

We have a Home Depot and Lowes literally across the street from each other a town away from me. The Home Depot wins hands down. Every time I go to Lowe's they don't have what I need, are more expensive, and the staff is useless or never around.

To be fair, the Home Depot two towns away is just like that Lowe's, but they also don't have any next door competition. With any kind of chain store the management usually makes or breaks it. The same applies to auto parts stores and restaurants.

HD over Lowes

But mostly I use our local hardware store. They handle everything:
I have bought a Speed Queen Washer, Air conditioners, 2 lawnmowers including a riding one. Several hot water heaters, etc from them. Their service is amazing. I gladly pay 10% more to keep them in business.

Where I live both have about the same prices.

I will say I notice Lowe's appeals to home owners a little more and I like Kobalt tools.

I don't shop at HD anymore because they have begun a political narrative that I don't support.

Since the OP is intrigued about gender identity, Reddy45 is spot on that Lowes targets customers of more feminine characteristics. Does that fit your tendencies, Walmil?
crackmeup2.gif

http://edge.agency/intel/lowes-women-and-millennial-focused-content-strategy

"While Lowe’s rival Home Depot uses a masculine colour scheme of orange and brown, Lowe’s brand appeals to a broad do-it-yourself audience—more the home renovator than tradies—and as such presents with “feminine” characteristics. In-store, the Lowe’s look is bright with white walls and floors and plenty of lighting. Online, it’s a similar proposition. This has the function of making the brand less intimidating for novice customers, particularly women."
crazy2.gif

LOL, real men apparently don't shop at Lowes.

Just stirrin' the pot a bit. No need for anyone to get their knickers in a bunch.

Originally Posted By: Al
HD over Lowes

But mostly I use our local hardware store. They handle everything:
I have bought a Speed Queen Washer, Air conditioners, 2 lawnmowers including a riding one. Several hot water heaters, etc from them. Their service is amazing. I gladly pay 10% more to keep them in business.

The local hardware store is a lot more than 10% over Home Depot or lowes. If it's a small thing, it's close and not a big deal. Any big projects is always Home Depot. You should see the look the lady gives me when I pull out a credit card for items under $10. Surly service plus high prices, pass.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Since the OP is intrigued about gender identity, Reddy45 is spot on that Lowes targets customers of more feminine characteristics. Does that fit your tendencies, Walmil?
crackmeup2.gif

http://edge.agency/intel/lowes-women-and-millennial-focused-content-strategy

"While Lowe’s rival Home Depot uses a masculine colour scheme of orange and brown, Lowe’s brand appeals to a broad do-it-yourself audience—more the home renovator than tradies—and as such presents with “feminine” characteristics. In-store, the Lowe’s look is bright with white walls and floors and plenty of lighting. Online, it’s a similar proposition. This has the function of making the brand less intimidating for novice customers, particularly women."
crazy2.gif

LOL, real men apparently don't shop at Lowes.

Just stirrin' the pot a bit. No need for anyone to get their knickers in a bunch.

I've heard this as well.

My preference is Menards. Things have changed a bit over the years, but I recall when I started going to home-center stores, Menards' staff seemed to know more, and if the person didn't know, they'd find someone who did. Home Depot people tended to just leave me standing there. In fairness to H-D, when I've been there for something more recently, the staff tends to approach me more to ask if I need help.

Lowes has been really good for appliances.

Just a little story about my local HD:

Being a BITOG lurker/reader, I saw that HD had 5 qt. jugs of Formula Shell marked down to 9.88. I picked up my dad and we went to our local store to pick up a couple jugs each.

The store was laid out by a madman. Some of the motor oil was in an aisle with airtools and carpentry stuff. Some was outside in the lawn and garden center. But the Formula Shell that was being sold at a special price was in neither location. My dad asked one of their sales associates, a young guy/teenager who had on deliberately ripped up jeans, 200 dollar sneakers, and orange apron, and no idea what we were asking for or where to find it. His primary skill was locating the old timer in the flooring/tile section that knew where things were stocked.

We were now a group of 4, with the old timer leading us to where the motor oil was stocked, PYB at regular price, and nothing else.

"We came for the Formula Shell. It's on sale for 9.88"

"I'm not sure we carry that. Do we carry Shell Formula 1?" says the old timer into his walkie talkie. He summons a floor manager, and only 3-4 minutes later a heavyset woman comes to the small shelf where the PYB sits dusty and unloved. She, in turn asks us where we saw the Formula Shell advertised. I tell her I saw it online.

"We may not stock that item, and even if we did, online prices are sometimes fake. It could be a fake ad." The absurdity of a HD competitor driving foot traffic into HD stores with fake ads didn't seem to register with her. Ripped jeans kid wandered off by now, and my dad and the old timer were deep into the weeds comparing knee surgery stories.

I told the manager thank you and wandered to the opposite side of the store to get a cartridge faucet replacement and some lithium grease. Lo and behold, there on an endcap with laundry detergent, flower pots, and other random items was a cardboard box, torn open, with 4 jugs of Formula Shell 10w-30 peeking out of it. I took all 4 to the front register and all 4 rang up at 9.88.

Total time spent in store: Maybe 25 minutes. Of that 25 minutes, I spend 5 wandering around hoping that the item I came to buy would be in a logical place, 15 asking for help and receiving none, and 5 in transit on the way to the register and checking out.

I like Home Depot because of knowledgeable support people to assist. My Lowe's is terrible because they hire support people with little or no knowledge about hardware. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back