2018 Kia Niro Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I did a search and I don't see where the "Niro" has had any post relating to oil use.

Wife just purchased a 2018 Kia Niro Hybrid. Car is fantastic and we got the tech package for the auto braking etc. Here are my details.

Driving Condition: Normal, she drives approx 10 miles each way at 4:AM and 3PM. No traffic with 2 lights maybe but only at work and home. In between is highway. Of course, she does shopping and other daily trips.

The hybrid is a series parallel design. Up to 25 MPH the battery will fully power the car and the engine is only used for more power situations. The engine also shuts off at cruising speed and or going downhill etc. So a lot of start/stop on the engine.

The Cap says 0W-20. The owner manual states the oil needs to meet API - SN but the car will accept.
0W-20
5W-20
5W-30
10W-30

What would you all recommend for use in this vehicle? I plan to do synthetic oil mostly due to the TX heat and the stop and go nature of the engine. I have some Magnatec 5W-30 left over from the car that it replaced. I know I may see an MPG decrease but I also think the protection with heat would make up for it.

Thoughts? Thank you everyone.

5w30 Magnatec is a good choice. Cheap at Walmart too. You will lose about ~0.5 MPG (~1%) though, not much, but its there.
The 0.5 MPG loss is quite predictable based on the added hydrodynamic drag from the thicker oil, proven many times in field tests and the lab.

A good 0w20 synthetic would be my choice in a hybrid. In some parts of the world xw20 is labeled oil for hybrids on OE oils.
Much of the situations that are high stress for the gas engine are avoided by electric operation.

49.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
A good 0w20 synthetic would be my choice in a hybrid. In some parts of the world xw20 is labeled oil for hybrids on OE oils.
Much of the situations that are high stress for the gas engine are avoided by electric operation.

49.gif

This^

Considering fuel dilution and potential LSPI issues with the Nero's 1.6L GDI engine, a Dexos1 Gen2 5W30 synthetic would be a good choice.

Originally Posted By: turnbowm
Considering fuel dilution and potential LSPI issues with the Nero's 1.6L GDI engine, a Dexos1 Gen2 5W30 synthetic would be a good choice.

It isn't a turbo.

Originally Posted By: wemay

It isn't a turbo.

According to Lubrizol, GDI engines with or without turbos can experience LSPI events.

In both GDI and TGDI engines, hotter temperatures and higher pressures are created. This environment, while great for fuel efficiency, is harsh and can lead to a phenomenon known as low speed pre-ignition (LSPI).

Originally Posted By: wemay

It isn't a turbo.

According to Lubrizol, GDI engines with or without turbos can experience LSPI events.

In both GDI and TGDI engines, hotter temperatures and higher pressures are created. This environment, while great for fuel efficiency, is harsh and can lead to a phenomenon known as low speed pre-ignition (LSPI).

I have yet to read of a single GDI alone vehicle with this issue. But i guess anything is possible. I wouldn't make it a deal breaker regarding oil choice if not a T-GDi though.

https://www.oronite.com/products/lspi.asp
Causes of LSPI
Low Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI) is a premature combustion event, occurring prior to spark ignition in turbocharged, downsized gasoline vehicles.

https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/2015-01-0758/
The biggest challenge in developing Turbocharged Gasoline Direct Injection (TGDI) engines may be the abnormal combustion phenomenon occurring at low speeds and high loads, known as low-speed pre-ignition (LSPI).

Originally Posted By: Trav

49.gif

Very true. I own several Hybrids but not the one mentioned. They all list 0w20 but you sacrifice nothing with the 5W

Great in the coldest winters, usually cheaper and better availability and I see no mpg loss whatsoever.

So it is a toss up with no loser with 0w20 and 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back