Paper air filter and water

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a focus st with the ford racing snorkel. https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-FST They install directly behind the grill so I would think a decent amount of water makes it to the airbox. Would it be safe to run this with a paper filter, or will any water ingestion with rain degrade the filter?

FBNRRXv.jpg

It's a Ford part. No danger whatsoever.

Most, if not all, OEM intakes have a small change in direction and a drain for water to be directed away from the filter.

My FXT gets air for the intake (as well as the intercooler) from a similar location and I've certainly never noticed my air filter being wet.
I've never looked closely, but I wonder if the resonator just before the airbox includes a water draining function?

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I would keep it stock. I’m sure the engineers at Ford designed the intake to not intake rain water

Yep , my thought exactly . If it ain't broke , don't fix it .

For $308 it better not void your warranty, yikes! $308 for a K&N and a little scoop.
EDIT: You're not even going to use the filter are you? Ata boy, paper all the way but that makes the price even worse!

Last edited:
My dopey 106 hp Scion Ia has a cold air snorkel just like that and it came free of charge 100% stock.

The factory front "snorkel" on my GTI has a drain/divereter for water, no doubt Ford has a similar setup.

Paper filter should be no issue.

Unless you go dunking it in 3' of water, it should be fine.

Not that I've done that recently in the Jeep...
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
The factory front "snorkel" on my GTI has a drain/divereter for water, no doubt Ford has a similar setup.

Paper filter should be no issue.

It's an aftermarket part with no rain diverter since stock it has no chance of seeing any rain. The airbox does have a drain though so that's not an issue. There are signs of water making it to the airbox, so I was just wondering if a paper element can handle a misting without getting damaged or degrading. If not I'll just stick with my AEM filter. I really just need to pull the lid and see how much water makes it in there after driving in a downpour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back