'11 Toyota Sienna slippery dipstick

Status
Not open for further replies.
greetings earthlings,

recently purchased a 2011 Toyota Sienna w/ 72k miles. I am having a difficult time seeing the oil level on the shiny dipstick, only two raised bumps for high and low levels. Dipstick is shiny, and not easy to read.

any ideas to maybe etch the dipstick, putting a non shiny coating on, so I can clearly see the oil level?

RV

I've heard of some people using a wire wheel to put brush marks transverse to the length of the dipstick (as opposed to the natural length-way brush marks that come as it is.)

Another thing you could do is etch it in some ferric chloride solution after cleaning the dipstick free of any oil or contaminants. That'll turn it a dark grey.

Wipe dipstick, re-insert and post a picture or two of it on here. Then we can see if we can tell what the level is for you. To post pics, click reply then click the box with the blue up arrow on it.

Some motor oil color is really bright that makes harder to read on dipstick. I think Valvoline was bright color side.

Looks like he's using PP HM. Color should start to darken after a few weeks. Which should make checking the level easier.

Originally Posted By: AreVee
recently purchased
2011 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD 73kmiles
Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 0W-20
Wix 57047

Bead blast it. Just mask it off about 5 mm above the high mark, it roughens and dulls the surface making it easy to see.
Make sure to wash it with brake cleaner and dry it spotless after putting it back in the engine.

Put a 1/4 can of LiquiMoly Moly in the sump, then you'll see it
smile.gif
I have recommended ArcoGraphite in the distant past for this purpose, But that's hard to find in the post Space Age.

jk-Please don't really put liquimoply in the sump. NOT Good for pressure lubed engine with high efficiency filters

Don't pull, wipe reinsert then pull the stick. Itw ill just drag oil into the dipper tube and mees the whole reading up.

Leave it overnight, gently Pull and quickly get the dipper near LEVEL, use a head light and look at it along the edge. You should see a meniscus. In a week the sump should be dark enough to see. No biggie.

Originally Posted By: Brian553
Another thing you could do is etch it in some ferric chloride solution after cleaning the dipstick free of any oil or contaminants. That'll turn it a dark grey.

I really want to try this now, are you to measure the dipstick before and then remark it after? Do the old markings hold up?

I found the ultimate dipstick, we should crowdfund this on BITOG:
Instant reading oil dipstick

Set it on a paper towel, where it's wet is where the level is.

Can try the blue shop paper towels too.

I've had that problem on my old 2007 Accord V6, 2007 Miata NC and my current Avalon hybrid.

Solution for all three was the same and very simple:

-Clean the dipstick, e.g. wipe it with a paper towel you lightly sprayed with brake cleaner.
-Mark the gradations about where you want, i.e, halfway, and then either side of that so you can see roughly a quarter of a quart for each section.
-Get the smallest drill bit you can and drill through the dipstick at those spots.

The oil will always bridge the holes where it is, and not where it isn't.

Takes 10 minutes, tops.

HTH

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Set it on a paper towel, where it's wet is where the level is.

Can try the blue shop paper towels too.

I thought everyone did this!

Also, "Slippery Dipstick" sounds like a 70's movie title.....

greetings earthlings,

I took Brian553's advice and put the dipstick in a pint bottle of ferric chloride, used for etching copper circuitboards.

Lovely light gray surface, now easy to see where oil level is.

Thanks, Brian553

RV

All id do is touch my (dry) finger slightly above the high point of the oil level and move it little-by-little towards the oil.
You will find the upper level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back