Does anybody NOT have a cell phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I turned in my work phone when I retired over a yr ago. Haven't seen fit pay for one to replace it. Any body else?

I dumped my AT&T p[an for Consumer Cellular last year and never looked back, $100 a month cheaper.
I could easily live without one, I use it very little but its good when you need it or emergency.

Nope, never owned one -- still have my land line with an answering machine & im content with that. For now, simple works great for me BUT -- my GF & myself are expecting our first child on July 26th so things might change on my part for the Family aspect then.
shocked.gif

Dale

Originally Posted By: Trav
I dumped my AT&T p[an for Consumer Cellular last year and never looked back, $100 a month cheaper.
I could easily live without one, I use it very little but its good when you need it or emergency.

Ranked number one by Consumer Reports. The big three cell phone companies come in the last three spots. CC, Ting, Page Plus Celluar are the top three. Republic Wireless and Tracfone are ranked up there also.

I met a local Luddite 10 years ago that was already rebelling against cell phones, about the year the 1st iPhone came out, by the way. She was a gal in her 20's at the time, so not an old person who just wants a dial-phone landline. (Usually its very old people who don't like the new stuff.)

She had a website on the whole subject of rejecting the awful influence of cell phones, and phones were just starting to get really 'smart' at that time. I'll see if I can find out what happened to her and/or her anti-tech website (a Blog, I think it was).

Since then, a book came out recently with the long title:
...."IGen: Why Today's Super-Connected Kids Are Growing Up Less Rebellious, More Tolerant, Less Happy--and Completely Unprepared for Adulthood--and What That Means for the Rest of Us".... and that book comes in the antique-style paper form if you don't want to read it on your smart phone or Kindle (hee-hee).

When we were expecting we got cellphones. I've always used Tracfone, while she was on Verizon for a few years before switching to Page Plus. We've been quite content with both; hers is like $5 per month and mine is $7 per month. I even have data to go with my smartphone! which I picked up for $180, and use for casual emails while on the couch. Or connecting to wifi in a store and looking up a potential purchase. It sorta replaced a worn out iPad.

So, no, I don't think I could go back to living without one. I'm tempted to drop the landline when/if we move. Only if I could have a massive change in lifestyle, living life in the slow lane and/or moving someplace ultra rural. Maybe when I retire and no longer need to answer work emails off-hours or need to send texts to people in a timely manner.

I don't want to live without one. I travel to remote areas where if I were to break down I might not survive.
I trek out to the desert where it can reach 100*+ before noon. I will keep the Cell Phone.

When we made a cross-country move back in 2006, one of my wife's friends insisted that she needed a cell phone and bought her a prepaid. It lapsed, but we reactivated it for the next move three years later. We now keep it up for $30 every 3 months and use it for emergencies and trips. It costs that much to keep the service active, but the minutes are almost never used up.

Continuing to not carry and use a phone everywhere is partly a matter of stubborn pride by now, but it's also financial. I already pay $100 for phone and internet service, and don't see the need to pay another, what, $200 per month for more phone service. That money will go into my kid's college fund instead for as long as I can hold out. The home phone lets me talk to anybody I need to, and the net connection already allows me to work, read, communicate, shop, and waste more time than I need to.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
... and/or her anti-tech website (a Blog, I think it was).

I love this...the WWW is OK, cell phones are bad.
If she's anti-tech, she should be standing on a street corner yelling at people to abandon their phones rather than maintaining a website.
Maybe a Gutenberg-style printing press would be OK for leaflets to hand out?

Consumer Cellular all day long. I hope that folks continue to use AT&T, Verizon and all the other user..that will keep CC successful. I even hate to say that in a public forum. But so many great people here.

Don't have a Cell?
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif
crazy2.gif
Do you own a toothbrush?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I don't want to live without one. I travel to remote areas where if I were to break down I might not survive.
I trek out to the desert where it can reach 100*+ before noon. I will keep the Cell Phone.
Cell phones don't work out in the middle of nowhere. Oops, you need cell phone towers. Its better than it used to be though. Still not enough towers out there or when mountains block the signal. (Actually, on long road trips a Garmin navigater works best because it only works off satellites; that, and a back-up paper map and compass.)

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
... and/or her anti-tech website (a Blog, I think it was).
I love this...the WWW is OK, cell phones are bad.
If she's anti-tech, she should be standing on a street corner yelling at people to abandon their phones rather than maintaining a website.
Maybe a Gutenberg-style printing press would be OK for leaflets to hand out?
Good point. A printing press might be too high-tech. I've lost contact with her over the years, but I know some people who can track her down again..... assuming she is living "on-the-grid", ha-ha.
In fairness, she might not have been a full 'Luddite', nor even Amish-like for that matter (no phones, no electricity). She just hated cell phones with a passion.

My brother-in-law refuses to have a cell phone and still runs Windows 98 at home, because it's the only MS operating system he can 'trust'. Oddly enough, he runs a small biotech company, so I sometimes wonder what his employees think. I believe it's a money thing, myself.

I gave my sister one of my old Nokia phones (Symbian OS with the QWERTY keyboard) and put $50 bucks on a PAYG plan, in case her old car breaks down on the highway. I'm told she topped up the account before the year ended to roll over her unused minutes, so that's good.

For disclosure, I only upgraded from PAYG to a modest monthly package with a small data plan 2 years ago, so I can check the weather radar for storms when I'm boating or motorcycling. I uses VOIP for my home phone and I run Linux.

"If your OS isn't free, it should be"

Originally Posted By: andyd
I turned in my work phone when I retired over a yr ago. Haven't seen fit pay for one to replace it. Any body else?

I changed from a full service to emergency only with 150 min per month and NO DATA. it serves me well and only pay $25 monthly.

I only switched to a smart phone a few years ago; it's indispensable for Apps that allow me to send information to my i3 and 2er- and in the case of the i3 I can also monitor charging. When I worked at BMW I delivered a new 7 Series to an older couple. Really nice people, very humble and polite. The husband didn't have a phone and the wife only had a cheap flip phone. On another board I frequent there is a guy who owns two homes and three late model Mercedes. He only has a burner phone. He's kind of odd in other ways as well. Some of us think he's a prime candidate for an autonomous car, so you can figure it out from there...

I'm on a big shared plan with my brother, parents and our girlfriends... So my bill is basically $40/mo for a smart phone with unlimited text/data. Not shabby.

If I got my own plan, it would be double.

I graduated from a basic Flip Phone with no texting to a Smart Phone this year. Glad I did.... especially since I now text and use Google Maps for my job. Pictures are much better now too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back