Sunoco E-0 90 Octane Rec Fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used 90 octane E-0 Recreational fuel? I can get it from my local Sunoco for just shy of 4.00 a gallon. They keep it in an above ground tank next out back next to a tank of leaded racing fuel.

As I understand it all Sunoco fuel is top tier, but I wonder about the Rec fuel.

I use the Rec fuel to make mix for my 2 stroke stuff and use it in my gas powered machines that sit alot.

In my ztrak mower I just use E10 because I burn thru a tank of fuel quickly on that machine.

I would hope for the price the Recreational fuel has an excellent additive package, but who knows. I am going to try to talk to the owner if I can catch him.

What is the storage time for E-0? I figure 6 months to a year, my one concern with the above ground fuel tank is the possibility of drawing moisture and of course I figure the gas sits for a while. I wondered if the heat would degrade it quickly. The tank sits out in the full sun.

Around here the Rec90 is not the same brand as the sign in front of the station. $4 is insane. I'd store it for years in Jerry cans.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Around here the Rec90 is not the same brand as the sign in front of the station. $4 is insane. I'd store it for years in Jerry cans.

Well its shy of 4.00 a gallon. Last time I got it 87 octane E-10 was 3.30 a gallon, the Rec90 E-0 was 3.79 a gallon. It just depends. I have paid as little as 3.30 a gallon for it and over 4.00 for it. Average seems to be 3.69 to 3.89 a gallon

I didn't know Indiana had very high gas prices. As of this morning E10 87 was $2.62 and Rec90 was $3.19 in FL.

Originally Posted By: hatt
I didn't know Indiana had very high gas prices. As of this morning E10 87 was $2.62 and Rec90 was $3.19 in FL.

That's cheep!

Yesterday we were about 3.10 a gallon for E10. The last time I priced Rec90 was a few weeks ago when I bought some.

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
Has anyone used 90 octane E-0 Recreational fuel? I can get it from my local Sunoco for just shy of 4.00 a gallon. They keep it in an above ground tank next out back next to a tank of leaded racing fuel.

As I understand it all Sunoco fuel is top tier, but I wonder about the Rec fuel.

I use the Rec fuel to make mix for my 2 stroke stuff and use it in my gas powered machines that sit alot.

In my ztrak mower I just use E10 because I burn thru a tank of fuel quickly on that machine.

I would hope for the price the Recreational fuel has an excellent additive package, but who knows. I am going to try to talk to the owner if I can catch him.

What is the storage time for E-0? I figure 6 months to a year, my one concern with the above ground fuel tank is the possibility of drawing moisture and of course I figure the gas sits for a while. I wondered if the heat would degrade it quickly. The tank sits out in the full sun.

I only put E0 91 in my car. There's a Holiday station near me that sells it. I don't remember what it costs, though. Last I looked E10 87 was $2.79

Originally Posted By: 5AcresAndAFool
Has anyone used 90 octane E-0 Recreational fuel? I can get it from my local Sunoco for just shy of 4.00 a gallon.

$3.29 at all local Wawa's -- they are all over the place, easy to find. Same price as Premium E10

image.jpg

yesterday
87 2.51
93 3.11
90 rec(e0)3.89

Today add 20-30cents to the first 2.

Local Wawa has it, as mentioned above.

However, I typically purchase it from Sunoco for more. I have no idea if it's different, the hope is that Sunoco is higher quality. Seems to last just fine in my plastic jugs. Sometimes I add Stabil, sometimes not.

Runs great in my OPE.

Interestingly, my F150, 3.5L ecoboost gets considerably better MPG with the zero ethanol rec90 fuel. My other vehicles do not.

Keep it in a metal gas can as full as you can get it. Reasonably sealed (think of a valve) so some pressure and little fumes can escape but nothing can enter. Avoid big time temperature swings (eg dont sit it in tbe middle of the yard.

Then I would have no qualms using it anytime. Granted, more volume lasts for more time.....1 gallon can for a few years......100 gallon metal tank lasts 20 years +

Or just ask the owner, distiller, the gasoline company hq or MolaKule

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Interestingly, my F150, 3.5L ecoboost gets considerably better MPG with the zero ethanol rec90 fuel.....

As compared to E10 87 or E10 of equal octane?

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Originally Posted By: Cujet

Interestingly, my F150, 3.5L ecoboost gets considerably better MPG with the zero ethanol rec90 fuel.....

As compared to E10 87 or E10 of equal octane?

I run either 87 or 93 in the EB F150. It makes a difference in power, but not mpg. The rec 90 allows the truck to exceed 20-21mpg. Something I can't do on fuel with ethanol. I'm starting to think it's a tuning issue. None of my other vehicles respond so favorably to non ethanol fuel.

Last edited:
I've been using E0 89 in my '01 Sport Trac for a couple of months now. I haven't calculated the mileage but I have noticed better fuel mileage.
I have noticed better engine performance too.

There is a gas station about 20 miles from here that sells ethanol free 91 octane IIRC. I have filled up with it before an noticed better throttle response, however I attribute that to the fact my vehicle is actually one of the few that provides better performance if a higher octane is used.

I think that you get about a 8% to 10% increase in power if premium is used in our vehicle.

I generally only put premium when we were driving in the mountains, or if I am towing a heavy (heavy being relative) load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back