2016 Mustang Differential OIl Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant

Time for an rear gear oil change, and the manual recommendation is Motorcraft 75w85. Would Redline in the same viscosity be a better oil to use? Could 75w90 be used, and would there be any advantage to going to the higher viscosity?

I’m a believer in 75W140 for all rear axles.

According to MacT garage on YouTube RedLine and Valvoline synpower both have much more additives than Motorcraft gear lines. I wouldn’t say that’s a guarantee they’ll perform better but something is take into consideration.

I personally use BG gear lubes. Mostly due to the fact that the distributor will give use products for use on our personal vehicles.

I would seriously look into Amsoil 75W-110 as a replacement for xW-85/90. 75W-110 is the viscosity of the upper range of 75W-90 was before the J306 tables were updated in 2006 (as shown below). Otherwise, I would use Amsoil 75W-140--particularly if you are tracking the car or running it very hard.

A1LuUm.gif

Usage is primarily driving to and from work, and once or twice a year at a local dragstrip. Would a 75w90 have advantage over Redline 75w85 in terms of wear?

If I change to 75w90, I would choose from the following:

Redline
Mobilube SHC (if I can find it in the USA)
Amsoil
Motul Gear 300 LS

Which of these would be the best choice?

Originally Posted By: ant
Which of these would be the best choice?

Amsoil - PM Pablo, he can hook you up with a good deal on it.

As it happens today I'm changing the differential lube in my 2016 F-150XL 3.5L, which has the 8.8" rear end. Typically I like to dump the factory fill by 10K, refill with a quality synthetic and then leave it alone to 100K or so. This process has served me well over the last 30+ years...never a diff or wheel bearing/axle issue.

Tomorrow after the RTV cures I'll be refilling with 2 quarts of Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-110.

Originally Posted By: XL1200RFan
As it happens today I'm changing the differential lube in my 2016 F-150XL 3.5L, which has the 8.8" rear end. Typically I like to dump the factory fill by 10K, refill with a quality synthetic and then leave it alone to 100K or so. This process has served me well over the last 30+ years...never a diff or wheel bearing/axle issue.

Tomorrow after the RTV cures I'll be refilling with 2 quarts of Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-110.
This is more or less the same process I use, but I will lower the OCI if I am towing frequently. I have Amsoil 75W-110 in the front axle and 75W-140 in the rear axle.

Any suggestion on where to purchase Mobilube SHC 75w90? I have not been able to find it on the web in the USA in the container size I need?

Any suggestion on where to purchase Mobilube SHC 75w90? I have not been able to find it on the web in the USA in the container size I need?

Same as Mobil Delvac 1? I get it in gallons from Grainger.

I think the old SHC that Prorsche liked became Delvac 1. Don't quote me on that, do your own due diligence, the SHC label has been tossed back and forth by Mobil for ages, especially in grease universe. I would call them. The Delvac 1 served me well.

What about Valvoline Synpower 75w90? How does it compare to Mobil, Redline and Amsoil?

What about Valvoline Synpower 75w90? How does it compare to Mobil, Redline and Amsoil?
Though I initially suggested Amsoil, based upon your intended usage:
Usage is primarily driving to and from work, and once or twice a year at a local dragstrip. Would a 75w90 have advantage over Redline 75w85 in terms of wear?
In all seriousness, any oil you choose would be fine. In fact, I would look at the cheapest oil that meets specification and just change it more often than looking at a uber premium (more expensive) oil which has its strength in extended OCIs.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Though I initially suggested Amsoil, based upon your intended usage:
In all seriousness, any oil you choose would be fine. In fact, I would look at the cheapest oil that meets specification and just change it more often than looking at a uber premium (more expensive) oil which has its strength in extended OCIs.

You're right probably don't need the most expensive oil, just need one fit for purpose. Do you see any issue with the 75w90 given that it's 50% higher viscosity?

You're right probably don't need the most expensive oil, just need one fit for purpose. Do you see any issue with the 75w90 given that it's 50% higher viscosity?
50% higher viscosity than what?

Originally Posted By: Y_K
I think the old SHC that Prorsche liked became Delvac 1. Don't quote me on that, do your own due diligence, the SHC label has been tossed back and forth by Mobil for ages, especially in grease universe. I would call them. The Delvac 1 served me well.

The "Porsche" Mobil (for transaxles) is now Mobil PTX. Delvac works great. Basically has every OEM approval.

Higher than the factory 75w85

Higher than the factory 75w85
I am not following you. How can 75W-90 be 50% higher viscosity over 75W-85?

I changed the Diff Lube in my 17 Mustang GT about 300 miles ago. I went with Amsoil Severe Gear 75w110. I’m happy so far mainly because I did not add any Friction Modifers and so far the diff has not acted weird in tight turns etc. I don’t track the car but I am hard on it at times so I liked the idea of upping the viscosity slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back