Best Ancenstry DNA company

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know some people have used 23andme and ancestry.com. Is one better than the other? Thanks

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
They're all frauds.

I think what happens is that some people, especially those in the south, are upset when they find out they have something in them they don't like.
Such a person might say "They're all frauds".

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
They're all frauds.

I think what happens is that some people, especially those in the south, are upset when they find out they have something in them they don't like.

Florida is not in 'the South".

They're all frauds.

Although I haven't taken the test because my roots are fairly recent to the country and I know my background, I think you do have a point there because I know a few people who were disappointed/surprised at the results.
The reason for my post is an article I read not long ago that one person used 5 different DNA testing websites and the results were not consistent at all.

They're all frauds.

Although I haven't taken the test because my roots are fairly recent to the country and I know my background, I think you do have a point there because I know a few people who were disappointed/surprised at the results.
The reason for my post is an article I read not long ago that one person used 5 different DNA testing websites and the results were not consistent at all.

You read it on the internet? Must be true, then.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
They're all frauds.

Florida is not in 'the South".
. Beat me to it!
laugh.gif

The results were what I expected, nothing for me to query - but Ancestory.com want money to go any further. Someone I know has gone through the Mormons, they have extensive records, and don't charge for it.

They're all frauds.

Some of us find our ancestry more interesting than getting oil for .25 cents a quart......

I used to be a molecular biologist....someone who actually isolates, replicates, splices, clones, and transfects DNA for a living. I went to Harvard and studied molecular biologist with the best in the business. I ran a huge early phase drug discovery lab at Eli Lilly.

Let me tell you, this kind of service is complete GARBAGE. I'm not going to write you a book on why that's the case, but believe me when I tell you, the absolute BEST an "ancestry" company can do is guess as to your background/make-up.

I told someone (my father) the other day, as he was asking me about these types of services: you might as well go to a palm reader or psychic and ask them.

Last edited:
Well my family and I are from the deep South and I was recently disappointed when a DNA test DID NOT confirm family lore of a non-Caucasian ancestor. Assuming all people from the South must be bigots is a form of bigotry itself.

Not all Southerners are descended from only Confederates, either. My great-great-great grandfather actually joined the Union instead. Over a hundred thousand men did. Several counties stayed loyal even when their states didn’t. I’ve heard of at least one in Mississippi, and one in Tennessee. I did have one Confederate ancestor, but he was Native American. History isn’t exactly PC...

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I used to be a molecular biologist....someone who actually isolates, replicates, splices, clones, and transfects DNA for a living. I went to Harvard and studied molecular biologist with the best in the business. I ran a huge early phase drug discovery lab at Eli Lilly.

Let me tell you, this kind of service is complete GARBAGE. I'm not going to write you a book on why that's the case, but believe me when I tell you, the absolute BEST an "ancestry" company can do is guess as to your background/make-up.

I told someone (my father) the other day, as he was asking me about these types of services: you might as well go to a palm reader or psychic and ask them.

Interesting I’m glad I asked. I have been curious about the reliability and methodology of how they are done.

I wouldn't say it's perfect but it certainly isn't useless. My father was adopted, knew very little about his biological mother and nothing about his father. He submitted his sample last year to AncestryDNA and was presented with mostly what he already knew. But it also suggested some possible relatives that also used the service and one of them turned out to be a cousin. They also have a pretty good document database, and we found a census from the early 1940s that showed his grandparents, mother and his aunt and their origins that matched what it showed based on the sample.

I had three DNA tests done just for fun. They look back hundreds of years for your heritage rather than just the most recent generations. I agree they are not accurate - all three agreed I was about 40% "Ireland/British Isles" but totally disagreed on the rest. The best I could conclude was that I was Western European, which I already suspected. I did learn, however, that I have a high slug of Neanderthal, higher than 89% of the millions of people in their data base, assuming it is correct.

While heritage results can uncover some surprises, especially for folks with little knowledge of their roots, it is only one reason for the test. I also found several cousins that I did not know existed, and in communicating with them was able to fill in a lot more information in my family tree. Overall a fun and interesting experience.

Funny enough, a couple days ago I overheard a report on the news calling these companies/tests bogus. I don't know what I was doing at the time but whatever it was I wasn't listening to the report so I can't contribute to this discussion any further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back