oil for my 2017 frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Recently I sold my 2014 fusion, and bought a 2017 Nissan Frontier with 17000 miles on it. It was just serviced about 300 miles ago by the dealer, with unknown 5w30 oil. It has the 4.0 v/6. I am not a hard driver. I plan on changing the oil this fall, and then again in the spring as I have been doing on my daily drivers for years. Not many miles between changes, but a LOT of short trips. The book calls for 5w30, but doesn't spec conventional or synthetic. I have a small stash of mobil 0w30. I am thinking of using for the fall change. OK??? I would think so, but it is still under full warranty, so I don't want to mess up anything.

One other question, I see that the oil filter is TINY, should it definitely be changed every oil change, or if I use the Fram XLsynthetic filter could I keep it on for a full year? In that year, I will not put on more than 6000 miles, and probably less. But boy is that filter tiny. Many on lawn mowers are bigger.

Originally Posted By: old1
So Recently I sold my 2014 fusion, and bought a 2017 Nissan Frontier with 17000 miles on it. It was just serviced about 300 miles ago by the dealer, with unknown 5w30 oil. It has the 4.0 v/6. I am not a hard driver. I plan on changing the oil this fall, and then again in the spring as I have been doing on my daily drivers for years. Not many miles between changes, but a LOT of short trips. The book calls for 5w30, but doesn't spec conventional or synthetic. I have a small stash of mobil 0w30. I am thinking of using for the fall change. OK??? I would think so, but it is still under full warranty, so I don't want to mess up anything.

One other question, I see that the oil filter is TINY, should it definitely be changed every oil change, or if I use the Fram XLsynthetic filter could I keep it on for a full year? In that year, I will not put on more than 6000 miles, and probably less. But boy is that filter tiny. Many on lawn mowers are bigger.

0W30 is fine. But-being it's still under warranty, I would purchase any OEM filter-equivalent the dealer uses. No harm in calling the dealer and asking them which after-market filter can be used.

0w30 in your Nebraska climate will be fine, especially in winter. With only 6000 miles/year I'd say an Ultra will do the job.

Great choice on the truck! I helped my FIL buy a 2017 Frontier SV crew cab 4x4 a few months back. He got a great deal on it with 8K miles on the ticker and loves it.

I don't think you could go wrong with an oil choice for this 4.0L. Trans, T-case and axles are all nice and serviceable which is nice.

I did run into one oddity with my FILs 2017 which was strange. One of the 2-pin harnesses at the left rear of the truck for 7-pin trailer plug is wired backwards. 12V constant power (black) and the electric trailer brake (blue) wires were reversed from the factory. Found this out when my FIL smoked the brakes on their travel trailer until I got him to stop. Apparently it's a known issue and I have a *.pdf on it.

Last edited:
Castrol Edge 0w30 is popular in Nissan's VQ V6 engine family, and upgrade the filter to a Fram 7317 or Wix 57356XP (Napa Platinum 47356). The Hastings LF240 is also good.

The regular Wix 57356 has a tiny cartridge, so I don't like it.

Wix is a good filter choice.. use up your stash of Mobil 0w30.

Keep with the wix or oe filter and a quality 5w30.

Thanks all. I bought the Nissan for a couple reasons, even though I have never before had anything but USA brand vehicles. First, I am lately a ford fan, but the closest thing is a sport trac, and everything I could find had high mileage, and I wanted a low mileage vehicle with factory warranty. Secondly I wanted as small of a vehicle as I could find, and the Nissan is small. third, the price is right compared to dodge or chevy, and fourth, I didn't want to wait for the new Ranger, and I know they would be out of my price range. AND I have had nothing but good reports on Nissans.

I've been using use Kendall GT-1 full syn 5w30 in mine along with a Fram Ultra 7317. I change the filter every third OCI at @5k intervals. My next OCI will be with Valvoline 10w30 full syn and if that goes well it will be my oil of choice from here on out. I honestly think you could use olive oil in this engine and it would run like a top.

I have a 2018 frontier v6. 800 miles on it. I'm getting close to my first change. I bought a Nissan ,oem filter and crush washer from dealer. Praboly use PP 5w30 i see the Nissan oem filters on eBay for $5 as with crush washer. I'll change the filter every oil change for that cost . I keep vehicles a long time . Wardawg

Ive had Frontier for less than year, it became too small for our family uses. Ive run 5w30 whatever it was sale at Walmart. Kept it at 3k oci. This truck has been around for years, i wouldny worry much about it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: old1
Thanks all. I bought the Nissan for a couple reasons, even though I have never before had anything but USA brand vehicles. First, I am lately a ford fan, but the closest thing is a sport trac, and everything I could find had high mileage, and I wanted a low mileage vehicle with factory warranty. Secondly I wanted as small of a vehicle as I could find, and the Nissan is small. third, the price is right compared to dodge or chevy, and fourth, I didn't want to wait for the new Ranger, and I know they would be out of my price range. AND I have had nothing but good reports on Nissans.

My sister had a Frontier for 15 years, all it ever needed was routine mx and one sensor. You should be good to go for quite awhile.
thumbsup2.gif

Mobil 1 0W-30 meets the warranty requirements for 5W and 10W-30 oils, why are you questioning this? I don't think they'd put that on the bottle for no reason! It's a great oil, use it with confidence.

I was looking over my Frontier Service Manual last night. I noticed they had fluid specs for USA/Canada and for Mexico. In the north the recommended oil weight is 5W-30. In Mexico, Nissan recommends virtually every oil from 5W-30 to 20W-50. They have a temperature/viscosity chart just like the old days.

First oil change in my 2018 Frontier Pro-4X was PP 5W-30 and a Fram Ultra filter.

In my 2010, which has been a spectacular truck BTW, I've been using Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 and a Fram Tough Guard filter.

Nothing but brake pads and batteries on my truck. It's been wonderful for 137,000 miles so far. My youngest will start driving next year, and I'm passing this one down to her for her first car. We've already started practicing in parking lots.

2 vehicles with the VQ40 engine....5w-30 Mobil 1 synthetic oil every 5000 miles and OEM Nissan oil filter which I buy off of Amazon and delivered to the house for about $7.

2 vehicles with the VQ40 engine....5w-30 Mobil 1 synthetic oil every 5000 miles and OEM Nissan oil filter which I buy off of Amazon and delivered to the house for about $7.

My 2012 Frontier Specifies 5W30, so I use a synthetic 5W30.

When I purchased mine at 30k miles, the dealer said they used conventional 5W30 as refills.

Later engines speced 0W20 or a conventional 5W30, such as in my Pathfinder, so I use a synthetic 5W20.

And as someone has suggested, now is a good time to replace the ATF with a NissanMatic "S" equivalent.

If this is a 4X4, it is also important to replace the GL-5 75W90 Transfer Case gear oil because it has about a 3/4 Quart capacity which degrades rather quickly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back