Carfax question

Status
Not open for further replies.
How should I read this carfax report? my guess is, the owner got into an accident, drove it for a short while, traded in. Dealer promptly sold off. Place that has it fixed it and is offering it in clean shape. Buy low, sell high. I'm guessing I should be concerned about them doing sub-par work. But what I don't get is the damage report listed long after the actual accident.

Might have been worth the $$$ for the carfax. 2hr drive to this dealer. Bummer. Right color.

Probably got smashed in a parking lot a month after purchase.

Keep looking, if has appeared once chances are it will appear again. Unless it is super rare.

Last edited:
Yep. Looks like there was an accident, and as soon as it was fixed and the claim was settled... it was traded in shortly thereafter.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Probably got smashed in a parking lot a month after purchase.

Keep looking, if has appeared once chances are it will appear again. Unless it is super rare.

I suspect it's kinda rare--green minivan with a non-black interior. it'll show up again, i'm sure, just not sure when.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Yep. Looks like there was an accident, and as soon as it was fixed and the claim was settled... it was traded in shortly thereafter.
but why would damage be reported later?

i mean, if the dealership did the repair both times, I'd be happy to go look at this.

I've seen all kinds of weird anomalies on carfax reports. To me, it looks like the collision happened sometime in March and the repair didn't hit the system until May 22. Can't tell when the repair actually happened. I've seen plenty of pretty major body work done where it never hits the carfax.

oh, I don't place a lot of faith into carfax, but i do see it as one more piece of puzzle. I'm ok with the repair just showing up late.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Then go look at the car. Why were you bummed in your first post? I must've missed something.

Dithering on seeing it, due to not knowing how well it was repaired. it's also 2 hours each way.

dude it has 128,000 miles and is what 10years old? theres a lot of baggage in any 10yo car that doesnt really show up on a carfax

The first one was reported to the police, the second one was reported to CarFax by a body shop. They could be from the same incident, once from the accident itself and once from the body shop that repaired it. They could also be two separate incidents. If you are concerned about it you should get it professionally inspected before purchase (you should do this anyway on a vehicle that old with that many miles on it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back