NAPA Syn... worth stocking up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, long time lurker, but first post.

NAPA just started their promo for their full synthetic house blend for $2.99/quart. I have a 05 Ford Crown Victoria with the 2v modular 4.6 w/41k on it. Always used a full syn (usu. M1 or QSUD) but I'm thinking about buying a case or three from NAPA while the sale is on.

I use the MC FL-820s, likely the best filter for these OHC cars because of the good ADBV...

How does NAPA syn stack up against other mid-range synthetics?

I do believe that they are bottled by Ashland (parent company of Valvoline) but looking at some VOAs, the NAPA blend had a notably weaker additive package compared to the already lacking SynPower.

Is it worth stocking up for a few OCIs with this stuff, I was thinking about just running it 3-4k.

It's not a smoking hot deal until you're down in the < $2/qt. range for full synthetic. You can get QSUD, Pennzoil Platinum, and Mobil 1 for $2-2.50/qt. with their periodic rebates on 5qt. jugs. Heck, my local Meijer was doing a clearance on QSUD 10w-30 a couple of months ago for $9/5-qt. jug. With the $10 MIR (and the checks rolled in just yesterday), they paid me to carry the stuff out of the store.

Last edited:
I wouldn't stock up unless I just had an abundance of space. There will always be another sale or rebate and if not, Supertech Synthetic is cheap enough year round.

Also I think 4k miles is too conservative for that oil and engine. It should be good for way more miles than that. I think the recommendation in the owners manual is 5K and I bet if you did an oil analysis it would come back recommending more.

UOA's here prove that it does. Even at that you still hear from some its not an extended OCI Synthetic. They have been proven wrong again and again.

Last edited:
no you could get pennzoil platinum last month 5qts for 12$

The napa oil is ok but not really much of a synthetic for hard use applications. It is fine for cars requiring api SN etc.

Yes, it is a good deal worth stocking up
thumbsup2.gif

NAPA is a excellent oil, made by Valvoline. As for the price, there will always be a better deal somewhere but if you need oil now this is a good deal.

It is a fine deal. I get Kendall synthetic for the same price. I do not consider either one lacking in performance compared to pricer brands.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Majority of oil purchasers don't mess with rebates. Some won't be caught dead walking into Walmart, for any product.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: Rand

Majority of oil purchasers don't mess with rebates. Some won't be caught dead walking into Walmart, for any product.

LOL that's great that just insures I have a good selection of oil when I go!

My standards are $2 a quart and under. Anything else FEELS like I'm a sucker who's overpaying @ retail price. Haha.

Made by Valvoline and has dexos1 Gen2 approval, not just API SN...

Yes, it absolutely is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back