2013 F150 5.0 oil and IOLM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Chevron Supreme 5W-20 SN oil sitting around.

My understanding of the Ford IOLM on this truck is designed to know/monitor a semi-synthetic like MC blend and similar or better.

Would you just run this oil and set the IOLM to 100% or knock it down to start at 80% or another?

Hope this makes sense. She has 45k on the clock and is new to me.
Once she hits 60k I will just run the Miles synthetic blend 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
My understanding of the Ford IOLM on this truck is designed to know/monitor a semi-synthetic like MC blend and similar or better.
I would highly doubt that--it is more likely that it is designed to perform a weighted average of time, operating temperatures, static temperatures, operating speeds, and the like.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I would highly doubt that--it is more likely that it is designed to perform a weighted average of time, operating temperatures, static temperatures, operating speeds, and the like.

From everything I've seen, there IS some variability due to usage, but not much. On the 2013s it's calibrated to go 6 months or 10k miles....mine usually got to 10% at around 9100 miles. Always had plenty of miles left in the oil.

I'd think that Ford would have set it for dino to be the most conservative possible.

rsylvstr, I'd set it at 100% and take a sample around 7500 to make sure you're good for the interval.

I have Chevron Supreme 5W-20 SN oil sitting around.

Would you just run this oil and set the IOLM to 100% or knock it down to start at 80% or another?

Hope this makes sense. She has 45k on the clock and is new to me.
Once she hits 60k I will just run the Miles synthetic blend 5W-30.

My understanding is that it has no actual sensor in the oil and has no idea what you put in but is a software algorithm designed around a grade and API spec.
It gets its input from engine speed load and temp sensors over time and calculates oil life from that.

Change the oil or API spec and it won't give you what you need.

In a mill with tons of chains and sprockets shearing oil I wouldn't skimp on oil filters or magnets if it were my truck and don't on my own.

Your truck your call.

UD

Thanks for that! No idea why they don’t say it is a blend on the bottle.

As long as the oil has the appropriate Ford spec, which Chevron does for the 5W-20 & 5W-30 you're good to go. It doesn't have to be a synblend or synthetic. Shell Formula 5W-30 has Ford's spec and it's considered a conventional motor oil. However if your iOLM goes to 10,000 miles and you go that far I'd use a synthetic. Your engine should not be as tough on the oil like the Ford EcoBoost's. My iOLM in our 2.3 EB Explorer always tracks to 10,000 mi OC,s. I use Mobil 1 5W-30 but have been changing it in the 7,000 mi range. My iOLM reads 38-42% oil life left. While my UOA wear numbers come back good the oil shows signs of fuel dilution and thinning to a 20 weight oil from the original 30 weight oil. I might go a bit more for the next oil change and see how the UOA pans out.

Whimsey

Correct
Unless the manual calls for synthetic-only, then conventional can be used.

Most-all 5w20s are blends, in order to meet the tough specs the government mandates these days. If you see a bottle of 5w20 that advertises itself as a blend, then it has a higher percentage of synthetic in that bottle, than the one that doesn't state it's a blend.

Use Chevron with confidence. What matters-most with your Ford is the viscosity you choose, which should be in-agreement with your owners manual under warranty.

If it's no longer under warranty, then you can choose nearby viscosities too....ie... 0W20/30, - 5W/10W30......etc..... If the manual has a disclaimer / No-No regarding those other viscosities I listed, then you have the right to either follow suit, or disregard their wordings.

After-all, you are full owner of that vehicle no longer under warranty and can use anything you like. The responsibility then falls on your lap / dime.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JLTD
From everything I've seen, there IS some variability due to usage, but not much. On the 2013s it's calibrated to go 6 months or 10k miles....mine usually got to 10% at around 9100 miles. Always had plenty of miles left in the oil.
I am not sure when they changed it on the F-150's, but I know that my 2010 F-150 was merely a time/mileage counter that went to zero at 7,500 miles. My 2014 Explorer is not like that, it factors in operation and is not simply a counter, it works the same as the one in my 2015 Powerstroke.

I am not sure when they changed it on the F-150's, but I know that my 2010 F-150 was merely a time/mileage counter that went to zero at 7,500 miles. My 2014 Explorer is not like that, it factors in operation and is not simply a counter, it works the same as the one in my 2015 Powerstroke.

Yeah I don't know either, but in my 2013 I tested it several times and it was a countdown timer....whether towing, highway, or around town it counted almost exactly 1% per 100 miles.

It also counted down if parked, at a speed that would take it to 0% in 6 months.

I guess the monitors are getting smarter, but they're still only computer algorithms that are estimating the oil's condition - which is why I use them as a guideline along with a couple of UOAs.

On my T4R, it's 5000 miles and the warning goes off.

I'm surprised no one has any info from Ford on how it works because from what you guys are saying -its a dumb countdown timer which is is lame.

GM's was pretty sophisticated - until I got it got corrected to 7500 miles regardless because of problems with the 3.6

I was able to dig out some fairly interesting data on how Honda does it with help from the Ridgeline owners forum guys Hondas is sensor heat based calibrated for dino and penalizes short cold hops.

UD

I totally agree the readings would be the same.
The IOLM has NO ide what is in there.
My understanding as one posted already is it is based on algorithms that are matched to the ford spec.

Just installed a FL500s and MC blend 5w-20. Will see how long before she goes from 100% to 20%.

I just want to know what engineer to choke.
My big oil catch pan isn’t big enough to catch both areas where the filter residue oil drains!

My understanding as one posted already is it is based on algorithms that are matched to the ford spec.

Just installed a FL500s and MC blend 5w-20. Will see how long before she goes from 100% to 20%.

My big oil catch pan isn’t big enough to catch both areas where the filter residue oil drains!

The only gripe I have about my Ram is after removing the oil filter oil falls all over the front end and makes a mess.

LOL yeah drips both sides...I ended up getting a rectangular pan, the corners just made it outside the drips by about 2cm....

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
I'm surprised no one has any info from Ford on how it works because from what you guys are saying -its a dumb countdown timer which is is lame.
Until recently on the Ford trucks it was just a count down timer. The later models actually take some attributes into consideration.

Yeah I don't know either, but in my 2013 I tested it several times and it was a countdown timer....whether towing, highway, or around town it counted almost exactly 1% per 100 miles.

It also counted down if parked, at a speed that would take it to 0% in 6 months.

I guess the monitors are getting smarter, but they're still only computer algorithms that are estimating the oil's condition - which is why I use them as a guideline along with a couple of UOAs.

On my T4R, it's 5000 miles and the warning goes off.

Thanks. Since I’m not doing a UOA inmigjt as well set her to 70%.
Thanks all

LOL yeah drips both sides...I ended up getting a rectangular pan, the corners just made it outside the drips by about 2cm....

Love my cardboard.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Until recently on the Ford trucks it was just a count down timer. The later models actually take some attributes into consideration.

My 2011 F150 and my 2012 Escape are both IOLM. I ran the 2011 for 127,000 miles on a 9500 mile drain - dictated by the IOLM - and wear was negligible. Search AITG in the used oil analysis forum for the results if you're curious.

My fiance's son has a 2014 F-150 with the 5.0 that he bought new. He works for the railroad and is on the road a lot. This truck is four years old and has around 140,000 miles on it.

He runs the Motorcraft 5W-20 blend with the 500s filter and uses the OLM to change the oil. It usually goes down to 0% around 9,500 miles or more. Truck runs great and uses no oil. Granted the majority of use is highway miles but he does haul a 20 ft flatbed with his Razr on it quite a bit as well has his 20 ft Ranger bass boat.

I also use the OLM or one year on my 2014 Mustang GT and feel comfortable doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back