Generator Cuts Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy 4th everyone... !

Lost power yesterday and fired up my Powermate PM01206000. Started with a couple pulls but after 15 minutes or so would start to sputter and then stall out.

Happened a number of times and each time, would run for a lesser amount of time... down to maybe 5 minutes. After the 2nd stall, I unplugged the low oil sensor... no effect

Ultimately moved choke in 1/4 position and ran for hours.

Fuel is good.

Air filter is fine.

Spark plug is new.

Generator has only 15 hours of run time.

I run the generator every 3 or 4 months and place a load on it for 15+ minutes.... then drain gas and store in garage

Any thoughts as to why this might be happening?

Thank you

I would have tried putting the choke back to full off before shutting it off to see if it now would keep running. It may have cleaned itself out. Pretty obviously wasn't getting enough gas . OR, it has developed a vacuum leak.

Last edited:
Maybe a clogged emulsion tube or jet. You might take the float bowl off and see if it’s clean in the bowl. Does it have a fuel filter? Check that too.

While its running, quickly flip the choke over to choke. Do this 10-20 times. Sometimes this will suck a "looogie" through the carb, and clear any restrictions.

Good stuff everyone.... will give all of these a shot

Loogie.... LOL - showing your age with the one I think. Haven’t heard that term since... a while ago

Thanks again

Pour some good Fuel System Cleaner in the gas tank. Run it on choke. It may work without having to mess with the carb.

...and now it’s running like a top

Hate it when stufff fixes itself

Thanks again for the responses and have a safe 4th

Warstud... Good call

I have a dose of Berryman B-12 in the gas cans. Started doing that when filling a couple years ago

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
While its running, quickly flip the choke over to choke. Do this 10-20 times. Sometimes this will suck a "looogie" through the carb, and clear any restrictions.

I'll have to remember this, thanks for the tip.

Sounds to me like like my old friend BOOZEGAZ has claimed another victim. Ya can’t run ethanol in any small carbed engines that sit pretty much period. Well you can if you use a fuel shut off valve and drain the carb every shut down. It’s far better to use high test or even 100 Low Lead airplane gas in those things that sit like a standby generator. Heck even my GM 2 bbl plugged this year after a full rebuild just last season. As usual just pull the covers clean out the jet and it ran fine again. That ethanol is evil!
youll probably get lucky using the cleaner as others mentioned since it runs. If not take it off and clean it. They usually get a nice cleanish lens of varnish in the main jet in my experience. If that doesn’t do it just buy a new carb. Lately they have gotten super cheap. When I did a fellas snowblower last year it cost him $13. Put it on and away it went just like when my Genny died several years back. Not even an adjustment needed. Carbs are so cheap they cost less than an OEM rebuild kit. You never could do that before the ethanol scourge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back