Best oil for 1984 AMC 2.5 jeep

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I daily drive my 1984 Cherokee 4x4 with the 2.5 AMC i4,currently using 10w-30 federated syn blend and federated filter,this vehicle has a one barrel carb.

Currently have 210,00 miles on it, jeep runs great no issues,Is this a good oil,does my jeep need something else,I was reading some older engines need more zinc,is this true?

So. what do you mean be best ? Brand? viscosity? best for below freezing start etc?

Originally Posted By: troutfisher
So I daily drive my 1984 Cherokee 4x4 with the 2.5 AMC i4,currently using 10w-30 federated syn blend and federated filter,this vehicle has a one barrel carb.

Currently have 210,00 miles on it, jeep runs great no issues,Is this a good oil,does my jeep need something else,I was reading some older engines need more zinc,is this true?

thumbsup2.gif
Got some pics?

Yep 10w30 is a good choice for that engine. The Federated is a decent oil when used for an appropriate OCI.

The 2.5 is a tough engine - I had one in a '90 Comanche, my sister has an '84 XJ with one that she's put a good number of miles on (I've done most of the work on it), and a good friend has a '95 TJ his parents bought new that has 315K overhaul-free miles. I think it gets sold short because it was only put in vehicles so heavy it could barely move them along. I'd stay in a 10w30 or 10w40 viscosity - my go-to is Valvoline Maxlife blend, but any similar oil should do about the same job. No need for extra zinc. Keep the oil level right and keep it in tune and the cooling system in good shape and it'll give as much service as it was capable of in the first place.

I do wish 4 cyl. Cherokees were a bit more popular. Wouldn't mind having a 4x4 2 door for DD'ing. It'd be slow, but oh well.

PYB 10w30 if you want something different. 10w30 or 15/ 5w40 HDEO if you're really wanting to step it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back