Kubota T1760 transmission fluid type/change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently acquired a T1760 with 235 hours on it. I want to change the transmission fluid. I know I have to pull the trans out to fully drain it. You can half change it with the plug on the side, maybe I should just half change it a few times.

My question is what fluid to put in it? I can’t find a definite answer. It looks like udt or sudt2, but I know it’s a hydro-gear unit, which I hear anything from 10w30-5w or 15w-50.

I really don’t want to hear any whining, but I want the trans to last. It’s a strange looking unit. I’ve worked on countless mowers and this one looks the oddest. I don’t think it would be easy to replace and for sure not worth a new one. It works fine at this time.

Any input would be appreciated.

Wow that is low hours for being 20 years old. You could probably get away with multiple drain and fills, especially if you can get dino 20W50W or 10W30 at a discount and change it often. When you are OK with the condition of the fluid, put something good in.

Originally Posted By: racinjason

I recently acquired a T1760 with 235 hours on it. I want to change the transmission fluid. I know I have to pull the trans out to fully drain it. You can half change it with the plug on the side, maybe I should just half change it a few times.
My question is what fluid to put in it? I can’t find a definite answer. It looks like udt or sudt2, but I know it’s a hydro-gear unit, which I hear anything from 10w30-5w or 15w-50.
I really don’t want to hear any whining, but I want the trans to last. It’s a strange looking unit. I’ve worked on countless mowers and this one looks the oddest. I don’t think it would be easy to replace and for sure not worth a new one. It works fine at this time.

I'd use exactly the Kubota fluids, in your case UDT would do quite well and is less expensive than SUDT2. Kubota tranny fluids are excellent and seldom equated in the non OEM fluids. Go onto any farm tractors forum and they'll confirm what I just wrote.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Looks like 20w-50...

I would use NAPA 15w-50, full synthetic...

Lol fixing to go pickup 10 qts in a minute. I have some hydro gear zt2800’s to service and replace an input seal.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Wow that is low hours for being 20 years old. You could probably get away with multiple drain and fills, especially if you can get dino 20W50W or 10W30 at a discount and change it often. When you are OK with the condition of the fluid, put something good in.

I have 20-30 gallons of straight 40, also 12 or so gallons of 15w40.

Originally Posted By: Pelican

I'd use exactly the Kubota fluids, in your case UDT would do quite well and is less expensive than SUDT2. Kubota tranny fluids are excellent and seldom equated in the non OEM fluids. Go onto any farm tractors forum and they'll confirm what I just wrote.

I have 2.5 gallons of udt I probably won’t use(all my bigger Kubota’s use sudt2) I also have 2 gallons of mystic Jt-5. I know udt is fine, BUT. See all the recommendations for 15w50 syn.

Kubota doesn’t make it clear and I can’t find a sticker on the rear end to see which model hydro gear it is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pelican

I have 2.5 gallons of udt I probably won’t use(all my bigger Kubota’s use sudt2) I also have 2 gallons of mystic Jt-5. I know udt is fine, BUT. See all the recommendations for 15w50 syn.

Kubota doesn’t make it clear and I can’t find a sticker on the rear end to see which model hydro gear it is.

I'd play it safe and go with Kubota's fluids.

Last edited:
Well an update

1. It does in fact have a drain plug(found it after trans was out). Internet says it doesn’t have one, it’s there right in the center.

2. It doesn’t hold 2.5 qts(less than 2). I let it drain for 2 days upside down.

3. I don’t think it’s a hydro gear like the internet says. It has no stickers or model numbers that I could find. I believe it to be a Kubota made unit. The design is like Kubota imo.

4. Fluid smells like UDT, I will put that back in it

5. It does not like 15w-50. It moves fine but is LOUD.

Maybe this will help someone out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back