Shelf life for unopened Toyota red coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know the shelf life for unopened (foil seal intact) Toyota red coolant? I've got a jug that's about 4 years old and wondering whether to use or toss it.

Originally Posted By: Bama
Anybody know the shelf life for unopened (foil seal intact) Toyota red coolant? I've got a jug that's about 4 years old and wondering whether to use or toss it.

I don't have data but I wouldn't stress it about it and would definitely use it without hesitation - most people leave coolant in their car for way more than four years and that's not in a brand new sealed container.

Last edited:
IDK but I don't see why an unopened sealed container wouldn't last "forever."

Originally Posted By: Gebo
IDK but I don't see why an unopened sealed container wouldn't last "forever."

I agree.
I used an unopened container of Zerex traditional green that was at least 15 years old in a Hyundai a few years ago....when I replaced the timing belt and water pump 2 years later the WP looked like new....

I don't have an exact time frame but the way antifreeze/coolant wears out (heating and cooling cycles break down the add pack) which it is not doing in a sealed jug I would say many many years.
I had a 20 yrs old jug of shell that had been opened long before I found it in a car and when I dumped it it still looked like new with no dropout.

That same coolant in your car will undergo far more temp extremes and encounter a lot of varied conditions.

So it sitting on a shelf in a sealed container is heaven in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back