New (used) car. What oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She is a 2011 Honda Pilot 3.5 Engine.

What oil would you recommend? I have been a PYB guy for my 03 Tacoma and nearly anything in the 01 Accord which runs like a sewing machine.

Interested in any advice... The pilot specs 5w-20 but I'm not opposed to other weights. 130k on the clock.

No need to change past practice; it will be fine (well, it won’t suffer from oil-related issues, anyway) with the regimen you’ve followed with your other vehicles.

Yeah but I thought I might finally justify buying some synthetic Pennzoil platinum or rotella t6 of some sort. I see the Napa synthetic on sale which is tempting...

Side note the wife has a 6 mile commute to work, not sure if that short trip should factor in.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
PYB is good stuff. If you have enjoyed using it in your Pilot, why change?

Just got the pilot Friday... It has a maintenance minder (this guy does not know what or how that works). Daddy used PYB so I did too.... Lol otherwise we have used a ton of white bottle rotella in a dozen non car engines...

Get the VCMuzzler if the previous owner didn't already install it. Because Honda's VCM is very hard on oil.

Since your car has the MM, use the cheapest synthetic on sale for the MM-suggested OCI. Napa Synthetic is on sale this week for $2.99/qt. Pick up a Napa Gold filter while you're there.

I had read about the muzzler. Do you have first hand experience with same? The vcm was.one of the reasons I was looking in to top shelf synthetic oils.

I have a VCM 3.5 Honda and mine burns oil. I ran PPHM and it slowed it (coming from conventionals) but didn’t stop it so I’m trying 0W-20 M1 EP HM now for the high PAO content. I would highly recommend using a synthetic. People that say PYB is fine have never owned one of these engines. Mine absolutely drank conventional. Like, “check the dipstick with 30 or 40 percent left on the OLM, and find it to be completely dry” kind of drank it. I had to add 3.5 quarts of oil that day to get it the full mark. Don’t use conventional and DO check the oil level often.

Sure thing. I wouldn’t overly stress about it, as I doubt your newer one will burn as much as my earlier engine, but it’s definitely something to keep an eye on to at least establish what your rate of burn off is if there is any.

How much does your Honda coupe burn now on good synthetic oil??

I like that Honda coupe look/style a lot. Sharp car indeed.

Last edited:
At 300k miles the 01 Accord smokes none but uses (leaks) about a half a quart between oil changes at 5-6k mile oil chany intervals. Usually Quaker state or super tech 5w-20...I say leaks because the valve cover gasket has a small leak and there is a drip underneath that I suspect is probably the rear main oil seal. All original engine. I did rebuild the transmission about 30k ago. No reason not to expect another 100k out if this Accord.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-honda-accord-ex/6632910993.html

Originally Posted By: JLoy
At 300k miles the 01 Accord smokes none but uses (leaks) about a half a quart between oil changes at 5-6k mile oil chany intervals. Usually Quaker state or super tech 5w-20...I say leaks because the valve cover gasket has a small leak and there is a drip underneath that I suspect is probably the rear main oil seal. All original engine. I did rebuild the transmission about 30k ago. No reason not to expect another 100k out if this Accord.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-honda-accord-ex/6632910993.html

FYI, if you haven't, replace the VTEC solenoid gasket. Super common to have them leak.....a LOT. Wifes car leaked like a sieve that and was the problem.

My wife's Aunt who happens to be a neighbor, owns an Odyssey with this engine. She's at 200k miles on Conventional and it consumes about half a quart between oil service (5-7k miles).

Originally Posted By: JLoy
She is a 2011 Honda Pilot 3.5 Engine.

What oil would you recommend? I have been a PYB guy for my 03 Tacoma and nearly anything in the 01 Accord which runs like a sewing machine.

Interested in any advice... The pilot specs 5w-20 but I'm not opposed to other weights. 130k on the clock.

PYB is fine for factory recommended or OLM oil changes. As with any petroleum oil. Synthetic if you want to go longer. If I was not stuck on M1 I would be using PYB. If the Pilot was mine I would be using 5w-30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
How much does your Honda coupe burn now on good synthetic oil??

I like that Honda coupe look/style a lot. Sharp car indeed.

My last OCI was 0w-20 PPHM for 3000 miles over 6 months and I added almost two quarts of top-up. The first quart of top-up was needed quickly after making the switch and then it burned slower needing the rest later on.

I changed my plugs recently and the ones from the bank of cylinders that shut down were completely carbon fouled worse than I've ever seen in my life while the other bank's plugs looked like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back