Power went off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost power at 6:00 Central time. At 6:20 fired up the 5KW PowerMate gen. Will see how long power is off as a Storm rolled through.

Power blinked a few times at home yesterday and today just due to demand I presume.

I went to work and had to unload 10 megawatts at the plant for a 4hr period yesterday.

I know at home, getting the generators out is a sure fire way to have the power come back! I never complain about that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Power blinked a few times at home yesterday and today just due to demand I presume.

I went to work and had to unload to 10 megawatts at the plant for a 4hr period yesterday.

Sunday we drove across the NY Thruway and it was 97-98 all the way. We drove thru Buffalo at about 3:30.

We are supposed to have storms rolling in to last until 3 tomorrow afternoon. Should be out of here in plenty of time for fireworks.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Lost power at 6:00 Central time. At 6:20 fired up the 5KW PowerMate gen. Will see how long power is off as a Storm rolled through.

Good thing you have the generator, it really suck if the power is out a long time.

One of the two 120V phases must have dropped out for a moment last night at my place. Some clocks were reset and my computer was shut down, but several other clocks were still keeping time.

Don't have a generator but a 750 watt inverter and a big marine battery. Enough to keep a few lights and some other items running.

Oh boy! JTK, question, is the grid protected from let's say another "Carrington Event"? Don't know anyone in the business. Don't mean to change discussion from original poster.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: Trav

Good thing you have the generator, it really suck if the power is out a long time.

It does. Going on 3 hrs now.

Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet
One of the two 120V phases must have dropped out for a moment last night at my place. Some clocks were reset and my computer was shut down, but several other clocks were still keeping time.

Don't have a generator but a 750 watt inverter and a big marine battery. Enough to keep a few lights and some other items running.

My 5KW-6250 start PowerMate handles my 24K AC, lights, TV, and Frig fine.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Oh boy! JTK, question, is the grid protected from let's say another "Carrington Event"? Don't know anyone in the business. Don't mean to change discussion from original poster.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

I don't think anything is totally protected from one of those events.

I'm not in the power generation business. The processes at my work consume nearly 50 megawatts when in full production. Our negotiated power cost is lower because we agree to curtail when the power company wants/needs us to.

2 years ago we had a lightening strike right outside our house and it blew the fuse at the transformer. The guy came out and said if the fuse doesn't fix it a crew would come out tomorrow. No biggie . The fuse fixed it.

Typically, when I have to run my generators the weather's either cold and raining or very hot. Nothing in the middle. Well, very windy (with lots of airborne dust) is also possible.

Power came on after 6 hrs. That's the longest my gen has run for several years.

I had a similar experience here in NW NJ last month. We had a rare rain/wind event that took down poles and wires in our area. I used our Brigs & Stratton 5500 watt generator for around 11 hours, the most straight hours I've used it in 6 years of owning it. Usually I'm running it under a 3,000 watt load every 3 months for a hour to keep it exercised. I installed a manual transfer switch so I was able to power the entire house. Which was lucky because my wife is a 911 instructor from home and had a course to teach that day via the internet. The computers, lights, tv and everything else ran great on the generator power. It's a comforting thing to have when it's needed.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Finz
Tig.... Any idea how much fuel was used?

About 3.5 gal. in almost 6 hrs. Oil use was zero.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Whimsey

I had a similar experience here in NW NJ last month. We had a rare rain/wind event that took down poles and wires in our area. I used our Brigs & Stratton 5500 watt generator for around 11 hours, the most straight hours I've used it in 6 years of owning it. Usually I'm running it under a 3,000 watt load every 3 months for a hour to keep it exercised. I installed a manual transfer switch so I was able to power the entire house. Which was lucky because my wife is a 911 instructor from home and had a course to teach that day via the internet. The computers, lights, tv and everything else ran great on the generator power. It's a comforting thing to have when it's needed.

Whimsey

Very convenient for those items. Well worth the floor space in my garage.

Originally Posted By: VeryNoisyPoet

Assuming you have single phase 120/240 volt service , how could you lose one leg and not both ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back