What’s the difference in these greases?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Mystik JT-6 covers all the bases. No need for boutique greases.

I'm not sure I'd call any of the greases listed "boutique".

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Mystik JT-6 covers all the bases. No need for boutique greases.

Seems there are at least a couple JT6 choices … I use the lower temp (green tube) for boat trailer bearings and on the outboard … very waterproof and love the almost clear color …
… popular with fishermen and farmers where I live … often one in the same …

Originally Posted By: Jetstreamz06
What would be an example of when to use each one of these?

I'm not sure what the marketing scheme of these products are. I.E., what niche they occupy. Maybe the industrial line? They seem to have good, average attributes and are similar to other basic grease lines.

Crimson - other companies market as "multi purpose" grease. It is a lithium base grease with less high temperature tolerance, lower timken extreme pressure, etc.. Use for general purpose, low "needs" applications around the farm, etc.. Not for disc. brake wheel hubs (need higher temp. rating). Tends to be the "budget" grease.

Cerulean - other companies market this as extreme pressure,high temperature grease. This is an lithium complex base grease with higher temperature and timken extreme pressure capabilities. It "should" be good for bearing hubs of disc brake vehicles. In my opinion, this is the most common, best general use grease (lithium complex) that covers "most" average use needs.

Pallidium - similar to the Cerulean, with the traditional 3% moly added. It is better for shock loaded, sliding applications like the bushings on a tractor front end loader. I believe it is not recommended for U joints (needle bearings slide instead of spin). It's use for ball/taper wheel bearings has no consensus (Ford recommends moly wheel bearing grease,others not.). For extreme industrial applications of "sliding" parts, there are 5% moly greases.

In the Mystic line https://www.mystiklubes.com/Category.do?code=GREASE The above greases would be similar to green tube multi purpose, red tube high temp, and gray tube high temp. with moly..

Some people associate the grease colors red, blue, green, etc. as higher quality. It's just dye and makes it no better than regular honey/tan color grease.

Someone correct me if necessary. My grease expertise is marginal.

Agree, not as much 'boutique', rather marketed as specialty. Watch for the oil viscosity though, some are better suited for bulldozers. My Landcruisers didn't like the Valvoline synthetic soap, I switched to Chevron Delo ESI grease for all 6 zerks and front wheel bearing repacks - works very well in my case

Originally Posted By: Y_K
My Landcruisers didn't like the Valvoline synthetic soap, I switched to Chevron Delo ESI grease for all 6 zerks and front wheel bearing repacks - works very well in my case

Just curious. What did you observe in thinking that Valvoline synthetic soap was not working for you?

The soap was becoming 'dry' too quickly after application in the yoke slider. That is, the oil would be gone too quickly and the sponge left would be incosistent. Had to purge a few times. Delo ESI acts like a high quality lube, surprising for a $3+ tube stuff, more like a high end lube from LE or TRC for much less. It has its limitations as well, but for that application and climate it's simply perfect in my case. I buy a 10-pcs box at a local distributor for $33+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back