Do you guys use a torque wrench for oil drain plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or is "snug" just enough? Thinking of picking up a cheap one at harbor freight to use for spark plugs, tire rotations, etc.

I don't use a torque wrench for that. I would be careful about the cheaper clicker wrenches. while they may be decently accurate at say 50-100lbs, i don't trust them in the 15- 20 lb range.

I use a liquid vac instead
smile.gif

Snug+ is good enough for me for drain plugs and spark plugs. Lug nuts get snug++

I've been doing oil changes for 32 years now and tightening the drain plug by hand and doing it "tight but not too tight" has worked for me this entire time.

I do use a torque wrench. Steel bolt, aluminum pan, I'm always worried about stripping it. Have I installed one without a torque wrench in the past? Yes. But I have a torque wrench in my toolbox, and it takes maybe 30 seconds longer to get it out and use it, so, why not?

Incidentally, be very careful with transmission pan drain bolts. The pans are usually thinner and the holes have fewer threads than oil pans, so, they can be easier to strip. Ask me how I know.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I'z just messing with ya Zee09
smile.gif

Always good to see you on here.

You too my friend. I quit using a torque wrench in the 80's when my new
Craftsman was so far off the mark i had no confidence in it or its replacement.

Highly unnecessary, unless you're one of those people lacking judgement (or "feel," or mechanical sympathy, or whatever word you like) for such things. I have a friend like that.

If I factor in shop class, in over 45 years of changing oil I can honestly say I never used a torque wrench on a drain plug. I never stripped one either. I'm sure there are other members here doing it a lot longer w/o a torque wrench with similar success.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I don't use a torque wrench for that. I would be careful about the cheaper clicker wrenches. while they may be decently accurate at say 50-100lbs, i don't trust them in the 15- 20 lb range.

You mean inch lbs, correct, not lbs.

Originally Posted By: Jaha24k
Or is "snug" just enough? Thinking of picking up a cheap one at harbor freight to use for spark plugs, tire rotations, etc.

Torque wrench is must when working on cars. Go ahead pick one up.

I normally dont use torque wrench for oil change or spark plugs. Hand tight first and i finish up with wrench until i feel its good enough. Even oil filter as well. I think i give little more tighter side than “snug” like you see on youtube or DIY or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back