How much Syn in in Blend oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just learned that Semi-Synthetic oils just have typically %10 or less Synthetic, and the rest %90 is Group I?

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I've just learned that Semi-Synthetic oils just have typically %10 or less Synthetic, and the rest %90 is Group I?

Where did you learn this?
The only source i know of that mentions percentages is Pennzoil. Their Penzl Gold containers say "at least 50% synthetic".

Although I don't know the Percentage "Synthetic" in a blend, and you'd have to have a definitive definition of what a Synthetic is to even do this, which in the US doesn't match what Germany says...

Also I'd be floored to learn that any major here in the US is using much of ANY GP1 in anything let alone a blend. It would be really hard to meet MRV and NOACK to be SN or SN+ in an oil with GP1 in any of the common vis used today. DEXOS 1 would be even more stringent.

The MSDS might give you a hint, but it's a trade secret or proprietary information that they aren't going to share.

You don't need it to be a high percentage just to get the benefits. Same applies to synthetic oils that have a few percent of group IV and/or V.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3

Although I don't know the Percentage "Synthetic" in a blend, and you'd have to have a definitive definition of what a Synthetic is to even do this, which in the US doesn't match what Germany says...
yep

Can't they label anything synthetic in the US, since it was ruled to be a marketing term?

From where?

They are likely majority Group II with a splash of Group III in them.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
No, it has to be Grp III or above AFAIK ...
I don't think there is an actual legal requirement on that though.

Originally Posted By: AVB

yep

Can't they label anything synthetic in the US, since it was ruled to be a marketing term?

I don't think so? I believe the ruling was that Group III was "close enough" to providing the level of performance offered by PAO that it was in turn allowed to be called "synthetic".

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

yep

I don't think so? I believe the ruling was that Group III was "close enough" to providing the level of performance offered by PAO that it was in turn allowed to be called "synthetic".
You are correct, but that ruling was by the BBB not a court.

You are correct, but that ruling was by the BBB not a court.

Yes, I was aware of that factoid, it was a BBB dispute over what could be sold as "synthetic"
smile.gif

At least in America, syn and dino are just marketing label that tells you the "quality" these days.

Probably the amount of final hydro treatment or sulfur contents? or how many miles you can drive on it? (5k for dino, 7.5k for "blend" and 10k for syn?)

What semi synthetic, or synthetic blend oils really are, is usualy a Group II conventional base stock with just the necessary amount of usually Group III or a mix of Group III and Group IV PAO, to get it to meet a test or specification that it otherwise would not be able to meet, so the figure in most syn-blends is about 10-15%.

In Europe Semi-Synthetic 10W-40 oils are still extremely popular and sell very well, they usually have specs like SL/CF or SM /CF and A3/B3 or A3/B4.
We also unlike the United States have widespread Passenger car 15W-40 oils, most of these are marketed as being Conventional mineral oils but some are thought to "secretly" also be synthetic blends.

because there are NO rules semi-syns can be [censored], but if you trust manufacturers a few say whats in it. for the money todays synthetics that are MOSTLY group III refined CRUDE oils @ $5 a qt are a good choice for most IMO

Depends on the performance rating. Test cost are very high and most companies try to read across different base stocks. Look up read across guidelines and you will get an idea of maximum levels.

why buy a semi-syn with unknown base oil amounts when a real fake synthetic aka group III is only a bit more $$ + the typical fake synthetic may have real synthetics in the blend as well depending on the viscosity + brand!! look at super-tech full synthetic, cheap + off the shelf at local Wally World stores!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back