possible damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
had to jump a relatives truck when I got off of work the other morning, a Colorado I jumped with my Ranger. It was still dark and I wanted to hurry up and get home, I was tired,(Someone always needs something I need to learn how to tell people no, even in situations like this)so in a rush I accidentally crossed the jumper cables on the Ranger, it sparked and the truck idled down like it was about to die before I realized and pulled the cables off. hooked the cables up right and the Colorado started right up. The Ranger runs fine since, but can any damage have been done to the battery or the alternator or any electrical components?

Chances are you're okay. If anything would have blown it would have likely happened immediately. If it were mine I'd inspect the alternator output wiring to make sure there's no compromised wires or connectors.

If the shorting of the jumper cables fried anything, more than likely you'll hear and maybe see/smell one of the main fuses pop, or the alternator rectifiers/voltage regulator fail.

no damage done. If high current was in play, the arc at connection would have been fierce, and the clamps would have been red hot in half a second. Jumper clamps seldom give a great connection, so while a lot of amps were flowing, it wasn't enough to be a catastrophe, but it indeed could have been. Be grateful!

-m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back