STP for Nissan Rogue Defective

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a big Champ labs fan and I use their M1 oil filters( IDK if they make these AF) but this made in USA quality needs some attention.

I didn't see the small tear or I wouldn't have bought it - I can live with the folded pleats.

Ill repair it and use it.

Here's the thing with made in USA that I have noticed with tools: They are best at making simple, tough professional grade tools that usually do not have the best finishing. Estwing hammers, Sand's levels, Mayhew prybars and chisels. Tools that are simple and durable enough to survive on a job site.

Starrett and Snap-on excluded of course.

I think the lack of finshing is because of the price of human labour in the USA. QC might slip a little but and some casting flash/imperfections might be overlooked. I think that is what happened here, I see it all the time on US made tools.

Last edited:
When did you buy the filter? I’d try and return it, even without a receipt. I would hope autozone would accept the return, and if not, I wouldnt do much business with them!

I wouldn't get upset over that
smile.gif

The Store sort of out of my way. I did look at but it didn't see the nip. Ill just hot glue that small spot.

I was passing on pur-o-later and going with STP to get USA but … whatever. Just be vigilant with any low buck commodity product. The QC is in the filter material and overmold - not the finished part I guess. The previous STP was Mexico looked SAME as fram except rubber color.

STP is a bad company. They sell their "brand" out to anyone. They are *still* using the reputation of Richard Petty. They are like Bosch. People still think Bosch is German....
whistle.gif

Also don't forget Champ Labs is recovering from Bankruptcy. Along with [censored] Airtex fuel pumps!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Here's the thing with made in USA that I have noticed with tools: They are best at making simple, tough professional grade tools that usually do not have the best finishing. ...

I think the lack of finshing is because of the price of human labour in the USA. QC might slip a little but and some casting flash/imperfections might be overlooked. I think that is what happened here, I see it all the time on US made tools.
Interesting generalization. I think we see something analogous in pleat spacing in oil filters. My Chinese Fram Tough Guard 10358 filter has very uniform spacing, unlike many US-made Frams (and others) I've seen.

Is there the STP air filter where the efficiency is 90%??

If so... That's poor. Really poor. It should say on the box... This filter only filters large horseflies, praying mantis, and hummingbirds
lol.gif

Autozone should at minimum give you store credit on a gift card even if you don't have a receipt.

Motorking indicated STP and some Fram air filters came off the same line at Champ Labs during the Frampion period, if you look back in the Air Filters forum here. Who knows what goes on now.

To see if there was a WOT power benefit.

If I don't "feel" a benefit I will go back to the mid/high efficiency filter.

And NO I don't keep my cars for 300K. More like 55K.

Next one though I'll be singing a different tune.

Post retirement car !

If I was still daily driving a 528e, I would still use STP filters, Oil air and fuel. No, I never cut an oil filter open. But I never had any sign of anything bad happening such as a ADBV failure. Heck. Even after an oil change , I hardly ever saw the oil can. The STP air filter fit just as well as a Mahle. Never a fuel trouble either.

My STP SA10261 looks just like a Fram CA10261, I suspect it’s a reboxed Fram. I grabbed it recently as I have been driving a lot more highway miles due to work and my Hastings filter must have started clogging up lowering air flow setting of the service air filter minder at less than 10k miles. I usually get the entire 15k change interval but not this time.

I had an STP on my F250 awhile back were the didn't use enough glue or something on the plastic that attaches to the paper. At some point it came apart and left a large gap between the two. That kind of turned me off on them. Oh and Autozone wouldn't give me a credit or STP. Either could have cared less.

Last edited:
Hot glueing a filter is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while.

It is nowhere near the correct adhesive, if even repairing the filter was a good idea to begin with - and it's not.

Replace the filter. Either exchange it, or take a loss and consider it a life lesson to always check the product in the box before leaving with it.

Originally Posted by Bighorn2500
My STP SA10261 looks just like a Fram CA10261, I suspect it�s a reboxed Fram. I grabbed it recently as I have been driving a lot more highway miles due to work and my Hastings filter must have started clogging up lowering air flow setting of the service air filter minder at less than 10k miles. I usually get the entire 15k change interval but not this time.

Time to go back to Hastings or Baldwin, or try Wix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back