M2 Golf, MK1 Rabbit, and GTI and G13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know what year VW stopped using copper, yellow metals, and lead solder in cooling/heater systems? My son wants to switch both his old Golf and GTI to the latest coolant, but he says G13 should be used only in all-aluminum cooling/heater systems. Apparently, G13, which is ethylene glycol and glycerine, does not prevent corrosion of copper, yellow metal, and lead.

I would flush the entire system out and use Zerex G-05 if it was my car. No need to over think it.
Issues sometimes arise when mixing two different coolant technologies. A problem you wont have if you get all the old coolant out.

G13, and really any automotive coolant for that matter, is more than just ethylene glycol and glycerine. In any coolant, you've also got corrosion inhibitors, coating agents, etc.. such as silicates, or phosphates, nitrites, etc.. As skyactiv mentions, G-05 is a really good coolant that can be used in many different applications and is readily available.

VW switched from HOAT to OAt because of the increased use of aluminum. There have been several iterations of G12 before G13 was released 10 years ago. One or any of the G12 coolants may well be suitable for a VW specced for G11, but G13 may not. because the corrosion inhibitors may not be ideal for other than aluminum. Hence my question if anybody knows when VW stopped using yellow metal, copper, and lead in their cooling and heater systems. The dealer does not know.

I don't know but the 97 or 98 GTI still had it. I did a heater core on one may years ago and remember the soldered brass tanks.

GOOD advice , but , G-05 is very hard to find (at a reasonable price) around here. I am using G 05 in the PT and will use it in the Volvo S60. I finally purchased the Zerex via Amazon . Having one owned a '85 Golf Diesel, I remember the G13( or G 12) label on the reservoir. I never knew what this meant, this was before Google ..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earthworm
GOOD advice , but , G-05 is very hard to find (at a reasonable price) around here. I am using G 05 in the PT and will use it in the Volvo S60. I finally purchased the Zerex via Amazon . Having one owned a '85 Golf Diesel, I remember the G13( or G 12) label on the reservoir. I never knew what this meant, this was before Google ..

You probably have a John Deere dealer nearby, get JD CoolGuard II, great stuff for yellow metal and it works great in VW gas and diesels.
Look at the metal erosion compared to others. I have been using it and the original formula CoolGuard for many years and never had a cooling system issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back